Instant Sooji Halwa Mix- Ready to make sooji halwa mix, a quick semolina dessert mix
Instant Sooji halwa mix/ Sooji Halwa Premix – Sooji Halwa/ Sheera is a very popular Indian dessert. Fine Semolina is roasted in ghee and then sugar ,water and milk is added and cooked till it thickens. You can add your favourite dry fruits in it i.e cashew,almonds,raisins . Cardamom powder and saffron is added for flavour.
Though making sooji halwa is quite easy but the ratio of sooji ,water and sugar has to be perfect else it will not taste good. The perfect roasting of semolina on low heat is also very important. The roasting time depends on individual choice, as some prefer a very light colour sooji halwa and some prefer to roast it to a nice golden colour like I do.
This Instant sooji halwa mix can be made in a big batch and when ever you want to have it then just add water and cook either in microwave or on your gas stove . Hot delicious halwa will be ready in 5 minutes.
It is very good to carry along if you are travelling. You can make a big batch and carry along with you .We always crave for home cooked food on our travel trips specially vegetarians like me have a tough time searching for veg food in foreign countries .This type of ready instant food packets are easy to carry and easy to make while travelling.
We can also make it for our children who are going for further studies and might be living on their own . Children often crave for home made food ,no body can enjoy hotel or hostel food every day .Whenever they want to have some thing sweet ,they can just take a small portion and make halwa either on gas stove or in a microwave what ever facility they have in their hostel room.
Some times we also have sudden sweet craving late at night but not in the mood to cook something so late then also this halwa mix came handy ,just take a small portion,add water and micro and in just 5 minutes your dessert is ready !!
How to make Halwa From This Instant Halwa Mix
Take a big wide and deep glass bowl add then add the required quantity of halwa mix in it and then add 1.5 times water and stir (i.e for 1/2 cup halwa mix add 3/4 cup water )Put it inside the microwave and cook on micro high for 2 minutes . Take out and stir . Now again cook for 2 minutes. Take out and stir again and cook for 1 minutes. Let it stand for 1 minutes in the microwave. Take out and enjoy your hot fluffy sooji halwa. You can add some ghee in it when its done.
The cooking time may vary in each microwave depending on the model and watts of the microwave . So you may need some less or more time to cook it perfectly.
You can also try these Instant Premix recipe-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Instant Sooji Halwa Mix
- 1/2 cup Ghee/clarified butter
- 1/2 cup Milk Powder optional
- 1 cup Semolina/ Sooji
- 1 cup Sugar /Chini
- 4 tbsp Cashew/ Kaju chopped
- 3 tbsp Raisins/ Kishmish
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom/ Elaichi
- Pinch Saffron/Kesar
- Heat ghee in pan and add the cashew pieces and roast till they start changing colour, take out and keep aside.
- Now add semolina /sooji in the pan and roast on low heat to a nice golden brown colour (colour of the almond )
- Now switch of the flame and add the raisins in it and stir.
- Let the sooji mix cool down completely, grind the sugar and make a fine powder (You can adjust the quantity of sugar as per your taste preference, instead of 1 cup sugar you can add 3/4 cup to 1.25 cup ).
- Add the roasted cashew pieces, the powdered sugar, milk powder, crushed saffron and the cardamom powder in the roasted semolina and mix well
- Store the sooji halwa mix in an airtight jar.
- When you want to use add water and microwave or cook on gas stove
- Take a big glass bowl. add instant halwa mix in it and add 1.5 times water to the instant mix(i.e if you take 1/2 cup mix then add 3/4 cup water ) stir it after adding water and micro high for 2 minutes, take out and stir again,now again micro for 2 minutes.Take out and stir and micro for 1 minutes .let it stand for 1 minutes then take out and enjoy!
- The cooking time may vary according to the watts of each microwave so you may have to cook it for less or more time.
- Addition of milk powder is optional.if not using Milk powder then slightly reduce the quantity of sugar.
- You can adjust the quantity of sugar as per your taste preference, instead of 1 cup sugar you can add 3/4 cup to 1.25 cup .
- Addition of Milk Powder is optional, you can avoid it if you wish.
- You can add your choice of nuts ,Instead of adding chopped pieces you can add coarsely ground almond and cashew in it.
- You can cook it in a microwave or on a gas top.