Sun dried Curd Chilies- a delicious crisp chili preserve marinated in yogurt for few days and then sun dried
Sun-dried Curd Chilies/ Mor Milagai/ Sandige Menasu/Mirapakaya/ Dahi Mirchi is an easy green chili preserve . It is specially made during summer as it need hot sun to dry properly. Though these curd chilies are easily available in the market but the salt content in those chilies are very high so I prefer to make my own batch at home which easily last for an year.
These curd chilies are super simple to make and taste delicious with any thing specially with curd rice, sambhar rice, daal chawal , khichdi, I even have these with my daily roti sabzi meal.
How To Make Curd Chilies
Curd chilies are marinated in sour curd in which salt,little roasted fenugreek powder and pinch asafoetida is added. Addition of fenugreek powder and asafoetida is optional abut highly recommended. Choose mildly spiced, slightly big thick plump green chilies for making this .The chilies are washed and slit from the center .Retain the stalk of the chilies if they are good .
Take sour yogurt or buttermilk/laban and whisk it properly and then add some water to dilute it. Add salt ,roasted fenugreek powder and asafoetida in the curd mixture. Now add the slit green chilies in the buttermilk and press them down. Put a slight heavy plate over the chilies so they will submerge in the buttermilk else they will float on top.
Keep them soaked in the buttermilk overnight, then in the morning take out all the chilies and spread on a plate and keep in sunlight for the whole day. Keep that buttermilk in the refrigerator.
In the evening bring the chilies inside and again soak in the same buttermilk whole night , next morning take out the chilies spread on the plate and sun dry.
Repeat the process for 5 days.
Next day take out the curd chilies from the buttermilk ,spread on the plate and keep in sunlight for the whole day
Repeat the process for 4 days- soaking chilies in buttermilk overnight, next day take out the chilies from the buttermilk,keep the remaining buttermilk in the refrigerator and sun dry the chilies during the daytime.
After 4 days the chilies will change there colour and become creamish like the pic shown below.
Now discard the buttermilk and sundry the chilies for 3-4 days or till they are dried completely . Make sure to dry them completely else they get mold .
When they are dried completely then store in an airtight jar and shallow fry or deep fry on low heat when needed.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Sun Dried Curd Chilies
- 200 Gms Green chilies/ Hari Mirch
- 2 cup Sour Yogurt/ Khatta Dahi
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Fenugreek Powder
- Pinch Asafoetida/ Hing
- Salt To Taste
- Wash the green chilies and then slit from the center.
- Tale Yogurt in a bowl and add some awater to dilute it and then add salt,asafoetida, roasted fenugreek powder and mix it well
- Now add the slit green chilies in the prepared buttermilk and mix.
- Put a small plate over the chilies so they will submerge in the buttermilk else they will float on the top.
- Keep the chilies soaked overnight ,next morning take out the chilies from the buttermilk and spread on a plate in a single layer and dry in direct sunlight . Keep the buttermilk in the refrigerator till next use.
- In the evening bring the chilies inside and take out the yogurt from the refrigerator and soak the chilies again in the same buttermilk overnight at your kitchen counter(dont keep the soaked chilies in the refrigerator)
- Repeat the process for 4 days .
- Then discard the yogurt and sundry the chilies for 3-4 days ot till they are dried completely .The drying time depends on the heat in the weather.
- Make sure to dry them completely else they get fungus.
- When you want to use just shallow fry or deep fry few chilies on low heat till dark brown in colour and become crisp.
- The leftover fried chilies can be stored for few days in an airtight jar.
- Serve with curd rice, sambhar rice,khichdi or with any thing of your choice.