Sabut Masoor daal- whole red lentil cooked in a simple rustic way
Sabut masoor daal- Masoor ki daal is a very light and easy to digest lentil. It is a powerhouse of anti oxidants and is not only beneficial by consuming it but also good to apply its pack on the skin as it also have anti aging properties
Whole masoor daal /Egyptian lentil is rich in protein, fiber and easy to digest. It is low in glycemic index so diabetic patients can also have it regularly. It also helps to lower the cholesterol level of the body and even reduces its percentage so a good heart healthy lentil. Good quantity of fiber make the stomach full easier so it also helps to loss weight.
Making masoor daal is very easy.You just need a few ingredients to cook this easy and humble daal. It goes well with steamed rice and rotis, you can also also make a thin puree of the cooked daal and serve as a lentil soup.
Addition of some kind of sourness is needed to enhance the taste . You can either add tamarind paste, lemon juice or mango powder/ amchoor . A tsp of sugar balance the flavour and gives a nice tangy taste.
It will take slightly longer time to cook as compared to tuvar, sabut moong, chana daal and moong daal. So its better to soak it for 20 minutes before cooking.
You can check these daal recipe here-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Sabut Masoor Ki Daal
- 3/4 cup Whole Red Lentil/Masoor daal
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 2 Green Chilies/ Hari Mirch chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger/ adrak Chopped
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Red chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander/ Dhaniya Chopped
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala optional
- 2 tbsp Ghee or oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili powder
- Wash and soak lentil for minimum 20 mins in enough water.
- In the pressure cooker add the soaked daal along with chopped tomato,green chilies and 2.5 cup water and cook on medium flame for 4 whistles or till cooked completely(soft to touch).
- When cool down completely,open the pressure cooker and slightly mash the daal with a ladle.
- Now add chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, chopped ginger, sugar,salt and approx 1.5 – 2 cup water.
- Mix well and let it boil on low heat for 10 minutes,keep stirring in between.
- Heat ghee or oil in a small pan and add cumin,when it start crackling add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Pour the tempering over the boiling daal, cover with a lid and cook for a minute and then switch off the flame.
- Add lemon juice,garam masala and fresh coriander and serve hot.
- Serving suggestions-Serve hot with steamed rice, jeera rice or roti.