Batatyacha Kees- Sun dried grated potato salli/ sev – a quick and easy Instant snack recipe
Batatyacha Kees/ Potato salli/ aloo sev – As soon as the Holi season was about to come every one start making papad, kurdai ,chips and sev etc. This is the perfect season to make and store yearly supply of all the sundried items. As the sun is not too strong and we can easily sit in direct sunlight for few hours to and make these items and then dry them in the sun for a whole day or for few days.
My Mother and grand mother used to make big batches of aloo and rice papad , vadi,kachri and kurdai and so many different and colorful items regularly for few days before Holi. I always accompany them and helps them in small chores like spreading papad ,peeling potatoes etc.. Since then I love making these items every year and religiously making since now. Now my little grandson Anirudh also loves eating home made papad and chips , feeling so happy now 🙂
How to make Batatyacha kees/ Potato salli
There are 2 methods of making aloo sev/ batatyacha kees/ Aloo salli.
1-One is the traditional way in which raw potatoes are peeled and grated . Then the grated potatoes are washed 2-3 times to remove the starch and then blanched in boiling water. Now the water is drained completely and then spread on a cotton cloth or greased plastic sheet and kept in direct sunlight to dry completely for 2-3 days .
2- This is the simple and easy way- First boil the potato in salted water . be careful not to over cook the potato. they should be just done. Now peel the potatoes. spread a greased plastic sheet or a cotton sheet in sunlight. now using a thick grater directly grate the potato over the sheet. make sure to spread in a single layer. let them completely dry in sun for 2-3 days before storing.
How to store and serve these Potato sev/ potato salli
After the kees sun dry completely then store in a tight container and then you can easily store and use it for a year. You can deep fry these potato salli in hot oil and then sprinkle red chili powder, mango powder or chaat masala. If you are using for fasting then add pepper powder.
You can also add some fried peanuts , fried almonds , fried makhana and curry patta and few raisins in it to make vrat ki chivda namkeen.
You can also try these homemade sun dried items-
You may also want to try these-
- Aloo Papad
- Sabudana Papad
- Potato Chips
- Rice Papad
- Sundried Potato Chips
- Moong Daal Mangodi
- Sun dried Tomatoes
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Sun dried Batayacha Kees
- 5 big Potatoes / Aloo
- 1.5 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- pinch Alum Powder / Phitkari optional
- Peel the potatoes and keep putting them in water so they will not turn black.
- Now using a thick grater, grate the potatoes and keep putting them in a water filled bowl.
- When you finish grating all the potatoes then wash the grated potatoes 3-4 times in different water each time.
- Now take a big strainer and add all the grated potato sev in it so all the water will drain from it.
- Boil enough water in a big pan, add salt, 1 tsp oil and a pinch of alum powder in the water.
- when water start boiling then add the grated potato sev in the boiling water and after 2 minute switch off the heat and cover the pan with a plate.
- After 5 minute drain it on a colander to remove the extra water.
- Now spread a plastic sheet or a cotton cloth in direct sun light and then spread the potato sev in a single layer. Make sure to lightly grease the plastic sheet.
- It may take 2- 3 days to dry completely , depending on the heat in the weather.
- When batatyacha kees/ potato salli dry completely then store in an container.
- HOW TO USE- Heat enough oil in a pan ,then add handful of sun dried potato salli in the oil and fry till it change its colour. remove from the pan with a slotted spoon. sprinkle some chili powder, mango powder or chat masala ans serve as a snack.