Matar Mushroom Recipe- A simple and delicious curry of Mushroom ,Tomatoes and green peas
Matar mushroom curry is a simple yet delicious vegan curry. It is a popular recipe of Punjabi cuisine. The gravy is simple tomato based gravy ,made with tomato puree and few basic spices. If you are making it for some special occasions then can add few tbsp of fresh cream in the gravy or for garnish to make it slight richer.
There are many ways to make this curry. Some prefer to saute the mushroom in butter or ghee before adding in the curry , some blanch them before adding . But I make it simple and just add the sliced mushrooms in the curry and then cook it till done.
Mushroom is a very healthy vegetable but still it is not cooked in many vegetarian kitchens . My Mom still not use Mushroom in her cooking and even I started cooking after my husband start liking it.
Mushroom have so many health benefits. It have cancer fighting properties.They helps in boosting immunity and also lower the cholesterol level.High in Vitamin B and D. Have anti inflammatory properties. Have high amount of anti oxidant.
You can also try these delicious recipes-
- Kesariya Thandai
- thandai Masala Powder
- Kanji Vada
- Soft Dahi vada
- Khatta Dhokla
- Matar Ki Kachori
- Tikoni Khaja Mathri
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates.
Matar Mushroom Curry
- 500 gms Mushrooms
- 6 medium Tomatoes
- 2.5 cup Green peas Fresh or frozen
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 10 Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 4 Tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3/4 tsp Cumin
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- Soak cashew pieces in warm water for 30 minutes
- Now wipe the mushrooms with a moist cloth OR quickly wash them with running water , don't soak them in water else they will absorb lot of moisture.
- If the mushroom seems little dirty or have few black spots over them then no need to discard them just sprinkle some dry flour/ maida over the mushrooms and rub them gently OR just peel and remove the skin and now the mushroom are perfectly ok to consume.
- Now slice the mushroom in 4 pieces and if they are big then can slice them into 6.
- Now grind together soaked cashews,chopped tomato, green chili and ginger and make a smooth paste
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and bay leaves and when cumin become golden then add the tomato cashew paste.
- Cook on medium heat and keep stirring, when the mixture thickens then add all the spices and cook till the oil start to leave the sides of the pan.
- Now add the sliced mushroom and the peas and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add 2 cups of water and give it a boil and then lower the flame and cover the pan with a lid and cook till the mushroom get cooked and become soft.If you want semi dry curry then add less water , water can be adjusted as per the thickness of the gravy you want to have.
- If there is more gravy then you need then just open the lid and boil on high heat for 2-3 minutes.Gravy is done when you see some oil come over the surface of the curry.
- Now add garam masala, cardamom powder and fresh coriander and serve hot.
- Serving suggestion- goes well with naan ,paratha, rice and chapati
- For making it rich you can add some fresh cream before switching off the flame .
- if you are using frozen peas then just wash and add in the gravy but if you are using fresh peas then add little more water in the gravy or boil the peas and then add in the curry.
- Can skip adding cashew if you are adding cream in the gravy.
Mrs. Bhavani Vedula says
This recipe was very good, yummy and very easy and quick to make. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Anjana Chaturvedi says
Thank You so much ! Glad you enjoyed it