Rajasthani Gunda Kairi Sabzi- Delicious stir fry of raw mango and Gum Berries
Rajasthani Gunda kairi ki sabzi is a summer specialty of Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. Gunda/ Lasoda/ Nisoda / lesua is a berry which have a sticky seed inside it. It is a seasonal vegetable available only for few months in summer.
Making perfect Gunda stir fry needs patience. first it have to boil perfectly as over cooked Gunda got mashed up while stir frying. The sticky seed have to remove from inside . Its quite slimy so dip your fingers either in some oil or salt OR use a small spoon to scoop out the seed.
Gunda / lasoda is quite blend in taste so we need some good quantity of oil and spices to make it nice crisp and delicious. As a good amount of oil and spices are added in it so it taste very much like a pickle. The shelf life of this stir fry is of 2 days at room temperature and for 4-5 days in the refrigerator .For sourness either add mango powder or chopped fresh raw mangoes. I prefer to add fresh chopped raw mangoes.
you may also like these recipes-
you can subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new recipes every week
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Rajasthani Gunda Kairi Ki Sabzi
- 1/2 kg Gunda/ Lasoda / Nisoda
- 1 cup Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam
- 1.5 tbsp Roasted Fennel Powder/ Bhuni Saunf
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1.5 tbsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- First of all wash all gundas and then remove them from the stems, try to keep the caps intact.
- Boil enough water in a big pan and add all the gunda's in the boiling water.
- Boil till done i.e when you press it it should open up from the center.
- Now let it cool down completely and then take out the seeds by gently pressing.
- You can dip your fingers in some oil or salt to easily remove the seeds OR use a small spoon to remove the seeds.
- Wash and chop the raw mangoes in small pieces. or you can grate it
- Heat oil in a pan and add fennel seeds in medium hot oil
- When the seeds start crackling then add asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Now add the chopped raw mango pieces and a pinch of salt, Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for a minute, or cook till it become soft.
- Now add the Gunda's and salt and saute for 2 minutes on high heat.
- Add all the dried spice powders and saute on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Cover with the lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring 2-3 times in between so it will stick or burn at the bottom.
- Your Gunda Kairi ki sabzi is ready to serve now.
- Enjoy with paratha. poori, roti or daal cahwal combo.
- It stays well for 2 days at room temperature and for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.