Vadi baigan – A North Indian style brinjal and moong daal vadi (lentil nuggets) curry
Vadi Baigan | Baigan Mangodi is a popular dish of North India specially in the states of Rajasthan and Uttar pradesh. Dried yellow lentil Nuggets/ Moong daal vadi/ Mangodi’s are used to make this curry. Brinjals are cooked with stir fried mangodi, tomato and few basic Indian spces.
You can make this curry dry or semi dried as per your preference. This curry is served with chapati, daal chawal or with khichdi as a side dish. If you dont have moong daal vadi then you can crush urad daal mangodi |vadi and use them instead of moong vadi.
You can also try these delicious recipes-
- Oats Vegetable Chilla
- Crispy Aloo Pakoda
- Kaddu khatta meetha
- Peanut Chutney
- Gujarati Kadhi
- Beans Thoran
You can subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new recipe videos every week
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Vadi Baigan /Brinjal Curry
- 350 gms Brinjals / Baingan
- 4 tbsp Moong Vadi mangodi
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 2 small Chopped tomato
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- Chop brinjal into medium size pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan,add cumin seed, asafoetida and mangodi’s
- Stir fry on low heat till mangodi and cumin become golden brown.
- Now add turmeric,chilli powder ,brinjal and salt.
- Mix well and add 1 cup water , cover and cook for 15 minutes on low heat till almost done.
- then add chopped tomato, mango powder and fresh coriander.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes or till cooked well.
- Serve hot.
- Serving suggestions– Serve with roti,rice or as a side dish .