Vrat ka Batata Vada- Fried Potato dumpling coated in water chestnut flour- Navratri Recipe
Vrat ke batata vada is a delicious and easy snack for Fasting. During Navaratri, Janmashtami and many religious fasting we often use gluten free millet and flours. Kuttu/ Buckwheat flour , Singhoda/Water Chestnut flour , Rajgiri aata / Amaranth flour is used for making pakoda, pooris, Halwa, snacks during such fasting .
I regularly make rajgiri aata poori and fritters . I recently tasted these falahari vart ka batata vadas at a restaurant and loved the flavours and the yum chutney served with the vadas. I tried making same at home and we all loved it . So today I am sharing this simple yet flavorful vrat ke batata vada with all of you. You can try these singhada aloo ka vart ka batata vada for the upcoming Navratri fasting .
If you are a jain or want to skip using potato then you can use boiled raw banana instead of potato ,rest the method will be same.
You can also try these fasting recipes-
- vrat ke kadhi chawal
- Aloo ka halwa
- Vrat ki Aloo Sabzi
- Rajgiri Halwa
- Samak Aloo Tikki
- Fasting tips for Navratri
Watch video Recipe of How To Make Vrat Batata Vada
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Vrat ka Batata Vada
- 1 cup Water chestnut Flour/ Singhada Aata *
- 4 Medium Boiled potatoes /aloo
- 4 Green chili/hari mirch as per taste
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- to taste Sendha Namak /Rock Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar / Chini
Tempering / tadka
- 2 tbsp cooking oil or Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 10 Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 2.5 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish
- pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Roughly mash the boiled and peeled potatoes.
- Heat Oil in a heavy bottom pan and add cumin and asafoetida.
- As soon as the cumin start to crackle add the cashew pieces, raisins and chopped ginger and green chilies.
- Saute for a minute on medium hot oil.
- Now add the mashed potatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and add salt, sugar, lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander and mix well.
- Let the mixture cool down and come to room temperature.
- Batter- take a big deep bowl and add amaranth flour in it , add water gradually and make a smooth lump free medium thick batter of coating consistency.
- Add salt, and pepper powder and mix.let it rest for 5 minutes
- when potato mixture cool down then make small size balls from the potato mixture.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry in a deep wide pan.
- Dip the potato balls in the rajgiri batter and gently drop in the hot oil and fry on medium oil.
- Turn after the upper side looks dry , now let it fry from both the sides till golden and crisp.
- Drain when done on a paper napkin.
- Serve with date chutney / mint chutney or Enjoy with a cup of masala chai