Rajgiri Aloo ki Kadhi aur Sama Ke Chawal – A Gluten free , delicious,easy and healthy combo meal for Navaratri fasting
Rajgiri aloo ki kadhi aur Sama ke chawal is a perfect ,healthy low fat combo meal for Navaratri Fasting or any other religious fasting. Rajgiri flour is amaranth flour which is gluten free and also a favorite millet to consume during fasting. Usually we eat fried or shallow fried heavy food on fasting days.
This Rajgiri aloo ki kadhi with sama ke chawal is a healthy ,quick to make and filling low fat combo. This is also cooling for your body and light and easy to digest.You can have it for lunch or dinner. I love this combo and often make this on regular days too when I am not even fasting. If you are not fasting then you can add your routine spices like turmeric,chili powder in this vrat ke kadhi chawal.
How To Make Rajgiri Aloo Ki Kadhi-
This Ragiri is kadhi recipe is quite similar to the normal besan ki kadhi we make regularly .I have substituted Rajgiri with besan and used the spices allowed in fasting. This kadhi take less time as compared to the besan ki kadhi because besan takes longer time to cook then rajgiri.
Try using very sour yogurt to make this kadhi else you have to add lemon juice. Green chilies and chopped ginger is added to make it spicy .I always prefer to add green chili ginger chopped or paste in my fasting curry or sabji’s so avoided pepper powder. But you can add pepper powder if you like its flavour.
Heat ghee and asafoetida in the pan and when it become golden add chopped green chilies and finely chopped potatoes ,add salt and little water and cook till half done. whisk together sour yogurt, rajgiri aata and water . Add ginger and the curd mixture in the kadhi . Cook for 7-8 minutes on medium heat or till it thicken. When done add chopped fresh coriander and lemon juice in it.
Serve hot kadhi with sama ke chawal , Kuttu poori, Rajgiri Paratha or with your normal roti or rice.
Sama Ke Chawal-
Sama ke chawal/samu/Varai/Moraiyo/samak/kodri/Bhagar/Mordhan/little millet/barnyarn millet is again a healthy seed which even Diabetic and Heart patients can eat as it is gluten free, have less calorie and less sugar content It is quite small and round in shape. Sama ke chawal are mainly used during Navratri, Shivratri and other Religious fasting days.
It Also provides the same nourishment and energy which the normal rice provides. If you are looking for a good substitute of the normal rice then it is surely a healthy and good option. But do remember that sama rice is of hot tasser and you must have some yogurt and enough water if you are consuming sama else you feel thirsty and dehydrated all the time.
How To Make Sama Ke Chawal
Making Sama ke chawal is very easy. If you cook it properly it will taste like normal rice. You can also make sama ke chawal ki khichdi and pulao to serve with Rajgiri aloo ki kadhi
Add ghee and cumin seeds in a heavy bottom pan. Wash sama rice and then add in the tempering and saute . Now add double quantity of water, salt, few crushed pepper corns and chopped ginger. Cover the pan with a lid and cook till all the water get absorbed. Switch off the flame and let it rest for 5 minutes and then open the lid fluff up with a fork. You can also add some raisin and cashew pieces in the tempering ..Serve hot rice with Rajgiri ki kadhi and some fried potato wafers or salad.
Looking for more fasting recipes then try these –
- Sama Aloo tikki
- Aloo ka Halwa
- Paneer ki kheer
- Vrat ka Paneer Pakoda
- Sabudana Uttapam
- Yellow pumpkin Raita
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Rajgir Aloo Ki Kadhi aur Sama Ke Chawal
- 1 cup Sour Yogurt/ Dahi
- 3 tbsp Amaranth flour/ Rajgiri Aata
- 3 Green chilies/Hari Mirch chopped or paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger/Adrak grated
- 2.5 cup Water/ Paani
- 1 cup Potatoes/ Aloo chopped
- 1/3 tsp Sugar/ Chini optional
- to taste Rock salt/ Sendha Namak
- 1.5 tsp Lemon juice optional
- 3 tbsp Fresh coriander /Hara dhaniya chopped
- 2 tbsp Ghee/clarified butter
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- pinch Asafoetida/ hing
For Making Sama Rice
- 1 cup Sama Rice/ Barnyarn millet
- 2 tsp Ghee/ Clarified butter
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 1 tsp Ginger/ Adrak chopped
- 4 Peppercorn/ Sabut Kali Mirch crushed
- To Taste Rock Salt/ Sendha Namak
- 2 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Raisins/ kishmish optional
- Peel potatoes and chop into small pieces(like we chop for making poha)
- In a bowl whisk together rajgiri aata and the yogurt. Now add 2.5 cup water and mix well.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the chopped green chilies and the chopped potato and stir for few seconds.
- Now add 1/2 cup water in the pan and cover with a lid and cook on low heat till the potatoes are half done.
- Add the rajgiri and yogurt mixture,salt and ginger in the pan and give it a boil on medium heat.
- Now reduce the flame and simmer it for 5-8 minute or till it thickens. You can add some more water if needed to adjust the consistency as per your preference.
- Add sugar, lemon juice and the chopped coriander and remove from the flame.
- Tempering- Heat ghee in a small pan and add cumin seeds ,when it start to crackle then add asafoetida.
- Pour this tadka over the kadhi and mix .
How To Make Sama Rice
- Wash sama and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add cumin seeds in it ,when it start crackling add ginger and washed sama rice and saute for few seconds.
- Now add 2 cup water, salt,crushed peeper corns and mix.
- Now cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes or till it absorb all the water.
- Switch off the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Now open the lid and fluff up gently with a fork and add some chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with rajgiri ki kadhi or cucumber raita