Drumstick Potato Curry – A very healthy and easy to make Sehjan aur Aloo ki delicious curry
Drumsticks potato curry- Sehjan/ Sojni are the pods of Moringa Plants. Moringa is very nutritious and full of health benefits. It boosts immunity, enhance digestion, very good for bone health, regulates blood sugar so good for over all health. Moringa pods and leaves are high in antioxidants and Vitamin C.
We can use Moringa in so many ways . The leaves of Moringa tree can be added in daal , paratha and curries . The Drumstick pods / Sojni ki phali can be used to make sabji, soup and daals. The taste of Drumsticks is mild so goes well with all types of preparations.
I am sharing a very delicious and easy to make drumstick and potato curry. This sehjan phali aloo curry can be paired with any type of Pulao, rice, Roti or paratha. It can be served for lunch and dinner both.
We use Drumsticks in Southern and Northern both types of cuisine . In Hindi Drumsticks are called as Singhi/ Sehjan/ Sojni . To make Drumstick curry try to choose medium thick , smooth, green drumsticks. Mature pods have hard seeds and the pulp is also not that delicious .
You can also check these delicious curries-
you can subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new recipe videos every week
Drumstick Aloo ki Sabji
- 3 Drumstick / Sehjan ki phali / Singi
- 4 medium Potatoes / Aloo
- 3 medium Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 3 Green chili/hari mirch
- 1/4 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Dried Fenugreek / Kasoori Methi
- 2 tbsp Roasted gram flour / Dry roasted besan optional
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala powder optional
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- few Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 1/2 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- Wash and peel potatoes and chop into medium size pieces.
- Wash drumsticks and peel from one side and chop to make 1 inch pieces and keep aside.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and grind with green chilies and ginger to make a smooth puree.
- Heat mustard oil or any oil of your choice in the pressure cooker and add 1 tsp cumin in the medium hot oil.
- let the cumin start crackling then add asafoetida , curry leaves and the prepared tomato puree and let it cook on medium heat and keep stirring.
- Now add the coriander powder, kashmiri chili powder, red chili powder ,turmeric ,kasoori methi and salt and keep stirring and cooking till it become thick and start releasing oil from the sides.
- Now add the roasted gram flour and mix well. (it is added to make the curry thick and smooth in texture )
- Add the chopped potatoes and drumsticks and stir to mix ,stir fry for a minutes.
- Now add the peas and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water (or as much thick or thin you want to make the curry, add water according to that)
- Can add few slit green chilies (optional)
- Close the cooker and pressure cook on medium heat for 2 whistles and wait till the cooker cool downs completely.
- Open the cooker and check if the potatoes are done or not. if needed cook for one more whistle.
- Don't over cook else the drumstick will become too soft and ruin the look and texture of the curry.
- Now remove the lid of the cooker and let it boil for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add garma masala and some fresh coriander and your drumstick aloo curry is ready to serve.
- Enjoy with pulao, steamed rice, roti or parathas.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka