Neer Mor -Spiced butter milk- Refreshing drink from South India
What is Neer Mor
Neer Mor – During summer season demand for fresh,healthy cooler and drink are increased. Fresh fruit juices, milk and yogurt based drink are good to have instead of those readily available fizzy drinks which are loaded with artificial color and sugar.
Spiced Buttermilk is a perfect healthy cooler to beat the summer heat.
There are many easy and quick drinks to make with yogurt.
Neer More is a very popular,healthy and a slightly spicy palate cleaner from southern India.In Tamil its known as Neer Mor/More and in Malayalam its called Sambharam
How To Make Neer Mor
Neer Mor is quite easy and quick to make,as only few ingredients are needed to make it. Good quality curd ,curry leaves, ginger and green chilies are needed as ingredients .Curry leaves impart a fresh flavour and the tempering gives a nice taste so don’t skip any step if you want the authentic taste of Neer Mor.
The thickness of this spicy flavourful buttermilk depends on individual preference,in a cup of yogurt you can add 2 part,3 part or even 4 parts of water,taste great anyways. You can easily refrigerate the leftover drink or make a big jug and use through out the day.Serve chilled and stay cool through out the summer 🙂
Also try these delicious refreshing beverages this summer-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Neer Mor Recipe ,Spiced Buttermilk
- 1 CUP Yogurt /Dahi ()
- 2 cup Water / Paani
- 1 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1/2 incg Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 12 Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- To taste Salt / Namak
- A pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3/4 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- Chop coriander,green chili ,ginger and curry leaves.
- Add yogurt and chopped coriander,chili,ginger and curry leaves in the blender and grind to mix.
- Now take out the yogurt mix in a serving bowl.
- Add 2 cups of cold water and salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a small pan,when it become warm add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When seeds start crackling add curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add this tempering in the prepared butter milk.
- Add few ice cubes if you wish. Mix well and serve.
- You can adjust the quantity of green chilies according to your taste.
- Instead of coriander you can also add 4-5 leaves of mint.
- Addition of curry leaves and the tempering is a must in this ,so don't skip both .