Rajasthani Mirchi Vada- A delicious batter coated green chili snack stuffed with tangy potato mix
Rajasthani Mirchi vada- is a popular snack/street food from Rajasthan. It is sold on most of the snack shops and small snack stalls in all the big and small cities across Rajasthan.
These Rajasthani Mirchi vadas are made with mildly hot chili peppers which are long and are less spicy, you can use bhavnagri chilies , Jalapenos or any thick and less spicy variety of green chili to make these Mirchi vada’s. You can remove the seeds if the chilies are spicy but removing seeds is totally optional.
These Chili Vada’s are usually served as a evening snack or breakfast with hot tea.They are usually cut into pieces and served with ketchup, green chutney and tamarind chutney. But they are so delicious that can be served without any chutney or dip
Potatoes are boiled and mashed first. Then a spicy flavourful spice mix is added in it . A mix of fennel seeds, coriander seeds dry mint and asafoetida gives a nice taste and aroma to the potato mixture along with the usual spices.
The potato mixture can be stuffed in the chilies and stored in the refrigerator for a day or 2 and when you want to serve then dip in the gram flour batter and deep fry .
Rajasthani Mirchi Vada
- 4 Medium Potatoes / Aloo
- 8 Thick Green Chilies/ Serrano Peppers
- 1 tsp Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 3/4 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Dry Mint / Sookha Pudina
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder or Tatri
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- to taste salt
For the batter
- 1+1/4 cup Gram flour / Besan
- Pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- pinch Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- Pinch Baking Soda
- Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker till they are perfectly cooked.
- Peel the potatoes and mash them well.
- Slightly dry roast the fennel and coriander seeds and then crush them coarsely with a mortar and pestle.
- In a big bowl add the mashed potatoes ,crushed fennel and coriander, mint powder,chopped green chili and fresh coriander, mango powder, salt ,chili powder and mix well.taste the potato mix now and adjust if any thing needed.
- Batter- take a bowl , add the sieved gram flour, salt, chili powder, turmeric, chili powder, asafoetida and water and mix well.
- Make a smooth medium thick batter of coating consistency.add soda(just before frying ) and mix.
- Wash, wipe and slit the green chilies from the center.
- Remove the seeds if you want.(This step is optional if your chilies are hot )
- Now stuff the chilies with the potato mixture and keep aside.
Frying the vadas.
- Heat enough oil in a deep wide pan.
- Dip the stuffed chilies in the gram flour batter and coat well from all the sides and then gently drop few at a time in the medium hot oil.
- Let them cook for few seconds then flip the side gently.
- Cook till they become golden and crisp from all the sides.
- Now remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
- Serve hot mirchi vadas with ketchup or any tangy chutney of your choice.