Lauki Dhokla Recipe- a healthy steamed snack made with bottle gourd, semolina and yogurt.
Lauki dhokla is a healthy snack. I have used bottle gourd puree in the batter to make it more healthier and easy to digest.
Bottle gourd is a very healthy and easy to digest vegetable but many kids and adult don’t like its blend taste. This lauki dhokla recipe is a good option to include bottle gourds in a healthy form.
I have used bottle gourd puree in the dhokla batter but you can also add finely grated bottle gourd instead of making puree, both ways the result will be equally good.
First mix semolina with yogurt and mix well and then grind bottle gourd with green chilies and ginger and then add this paste in semolina and yogurt mixture . Now add water to make a dropping consistency batter and add salt. now rest this lauki dhokla batter for minimum 15 minutes.
Now add 2 tbsp of oil and mix. boil water in the steamer and when water start boiling add eno in the mixture and stir well. pour the batter in greased plates and steam for 15 minutes. Cool and cut into pieces, make a tadka of mustard seeds , curry leaves and asafoetida and pour over the pieces. The tadka is optional you can skip it for a fat free version. or just brush some peanut oil over the lauki dhoklas after steaming.
you can also check these recipes-
- Moong daal Paneer Cheela
- Kamal kakdi ke pakode
- Khatta Meetha Karela
- Walnut barfi
- Drum stick Aloo Sabji
- Lauki Cheela
Lauki Dhokla I Health Bottle Gourd Dhokla Recipe
- steamer pan
- 1 cup Bottle gourd/Lauki /Doodhi finely chopped
- 1 cup Semolina/Cream of Wheat/Sooji
- 3/4 cup Sour curd
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/2 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 1.5 tsp Eno fruit salt
- to taste Salt / Namak
- pinch Sugar / Chini
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1.5 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1 tsp White sesame seeds /til
- pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 8 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 4 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch slit lengthwise
- Wash and peel bottle gourd and chop into fine pieces
- In a bowl add curd and semolina , mix and make a thick batter , add some water if needed.
- If the curd is not sour then add some lemon juice in the batter.
- Now grind together- bottle gourd, green chilies, ginger and fresh coriander and make a fine smooth paste.
- Now add this paste in the semolina batter, add 2 tsp oil, salt and sugar and let it rest for 15minutes.
- After 15 minutes check the consistency of the batter , it should be of pouring consistency like idli batter, add some water if its thick and if become too watery then add some semolina.
- Boil water in the steamer and grease the plates in which dhoklas will be steamed.
- Now add eno in the batter and mix well, pour the batter in the plates, cover the pan and steam for around 15 minutes on high heat.(it will make 2 plates of dhokla with this batter)
- Check by inserting a knife or a toothpick in the dhokla, if it come out clean then its done.
- Take out the dhokla plates from the steamer and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut into your desired shapes.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds, sesame seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and slit green chilies and fry.
- When done add the tadka over the dhokla, garnish with fresh coriander and coconut.
- Serve with green chutney or coconut chutney.