Bhinda ki kadi -Mildly spiced okra and buttermilk stew – specialty of Gujarat.
Bhinda ki kadhi- Gujarati cuisine is famous for its snacks and kadhis. Its kadhis are different from U.P and Punjabi style kadhis. Gujaratis love Bhindi/Okra and its widely used in their cuisine.
This Bhinda Ni Kadhi is a slightly thicker version of the famous Plain Gujarati Kadhi and usually served with rice and bhakri. I prefer to use slightly sour yogurt to make this bhinda ki kadhi, but if you are using fresh yogurt then you may add lemon juice to it.
Bhindi ke kadhi is best served with steamed rice and hot roti’s . You may need just few papad and salad to serve with this delicious bhinda kadhi .
You can also try these Delicious kadhi recipes-
- Moong Daal Pakoda Kadhi
- Aloo Matar Mangodi Ki Kadhi
- Kulfa Chana Daal Ki Kadhi
- Boondi Ki Kadhi
- Sindhi Kadhi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Gujarati Bhindi Ki Kadhi
- 100 gms Okra/ Bhindi
- 1.5 cup Sour Yogurt/ Dahi
- 3 tbsp Gram Flour/ Besan
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar/ Chini
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes or powder
- 1.5 tsp Ginger/Adrak Chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon juice Optional
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds/ Rai
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds/ Methidana
- 1 tsp Green chilies
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 2 whole red chilies
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 2 Cloves/lavang
- Wash and wipe okra,and chop into medium size roundals.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and saute okra slices on medium heat till almost done,can cover the pan with a lid if needed OR you can also deep fry them.
- In a bowl add yogurt and gram flour and whisk well ,then add water and mix,make sure there will be no lumps in the mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering,when done add the yogurt mixture,salt,turmeric,ginger and chili powder
- Boil on high heat for 5 minutes or till it start boiling,keep stiring otherwise it may curdle at this stage.
- When start boiling reduce the heat and simmer for approx 20 minutes.keep stirring in between.
- Add sauted okra pieces and sugar and boil for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add fresh coriander and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with steamed rice /khichdi ,pulao and roti