Kaju barfi -A traditional Indian sweet made with Cashew Nuts
- Cashew nuts,powdered- 1.5 cups
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Water – ¾ cup
- Whole Milk Powder – 3 tablespoons*
- Cardamom, ground – ½ teaspoon
- Rose water 1.5 tsp *
- Silver foil (Varak) – 3*
- Grind the Cashew pieces in a mixer by short pulses rather than continued
grinding. Grind enough to just make a powder. Do not overdo the grinding, since
the cashews will start releasing their natural oils and become sticky.
- Put the powder in a bowl and add cardamom and milk powder into it, and mix
- Take sugar and water in a pan and cook on medium heat to form a sugar syrup
of 1.5 threads consistency.
- When the sugar syrup is done you will see bubbles all over the syrup. keep stirring and switch
off the flame and add the ground cashew powder and rose water and mix thoroughly.
- Let it cool down for about 5-8 minutes. Knead it into a smooth but firm dough
with your hand.
- Grease a rolling pin and roll the dough on your working platform or any
other smooth surface.
- Apply the silver foil delicately over the flattened dough.then place a thick polythene over it and gently roll with a rolling pin,so it will stick properly and neatly.
- Wait for 20- 25 minutes and then cut into squares or diamonds *.Enjoy!
1-If the dough is soft to handle, you may add a few teaspoons of milk
powder to it ,to stiffen it.you may
substitute it with Mawa/Khoya – which
is dried solidified milk, which looks like lumps of cottage cheese but tastes
way better! It’s easily available in the Indian Sub-Continent .
2-If the dough is too hard to roll smoothly, you may add a few teaspoons of fresh
milk, and mix and mash gently.
3-You may substitute silver foil with crushed or thinly sliced pistachio and press
them on the fudge with a rolling pin.
4- If you have difficulity in rolling on a board,then you can put the dough ball between 2 sheets of thick polythene and then roll easily.
5- You can substitute rose water with few drops of kewra essence.
6- *Use a wooden ruler to cut it into neat and perfect shapes/squares.
sending to –simply tadka
Preeti Garg says
Wow, Kaju barfi look amazing
Awesome recipe Thanks for linking with my event
so colorful..perfect kajus…
Makes me drool..tempting
Aps prabhu says
I could or say can finish them of within no time… but when i realise abt the fat i pull my hands back 😉
they are just perfect Anjana.. hats off
Vimitha Anand says
Looks like store bought Aunty. Perfect
Win flipkart e-vouchers from 27coupons. Join now
Enter to win free Hudson Canola Oil Hampers
Rafeeda AR says
absolutely delightful burfi… could have it now… 🙂
Kaveri Venkatesh says
Perfect made katlis…my favorite
Meena B says
beautiful and i always thought how it is done
u hv out done the mithai walas here
Sangeetha Nambi says
Very perfectly done… Looks awesome…
Event: Dish name starts with R till April 15th and a giveaway
prathibha Garre says
Thats a perfect Kaju Katli…looks nice
Priya R says
Love Kaju katli and your version is sure new to me, would love to try this sometime, bookmarking it 🙂
Priya Suresh says
Love these katlis,prefect diamonds, beautifully presented.
Meena Selvakumaran says
my fav,lovely clicks and tips.cute props…