lemon pickle -Khatta metha nimbu ka achar – A delicious oil free, sweet and sour lemon pickle
lemon pickle- Khatta Meetha Nimbu Ka Achar- -I love to eat and make pickles! I learnt this from my grandmother(Nani), who was an expert in the art of pickling. She would make huge jars of different pickles for all of us, every year.
In India we make a huge variety pickles from both fruit and vegetables, seasonal and year round. Mango and lemon pickle are the favorites and as they have a long shelf life are made in large quantities.
for making this pickle try to choose lemons with thin peel. if the peel is thick then it take longer time to soften.
I make few different versions of the lemon pickle, and today I am sharing the sweet and sour neembu achar recipe . This pickle takes about a month to mature and has a long shelf life ( stays well till it ends:) ).
I have also posted-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Khatta Metha Nimbu Ka Achar /Sweet and sour Lemon Pickle
- 800 grams Lemons / Nimbu Indian yellow lemons *
- 150 grams Salt / Namak
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1.5 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 2 tbsp Ginger / Adrak Grated
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 cup Sugar / Chini
- Wash and wipe lemons with a cloth,there should not be any moisture on the lemons.
- Now chop the lemons into small pieces(8-12 pieces from a lemon)
- In a pan dry roast cumin,fenugreek and mustard seeds to a nice golden colour(dont over do this)on slow flame, then grind to make a powder.
- Mix salt, turmeric ,asafoetida,1.5 tbs lemon juice and ground spices in the chopped lemon pieces and mix well.
- Cover the jar and keep at room temperature or in sunlight for a month so the lemon skin will become soft due to the salt.keep shaking the jar once in a day.
- After a month when lemon peel become soft, add the sugar and grated ginger in lemons and mix well .
- Cover the jar mouth with a muslin cloth and try to keep the jar in sunlight for few hours daily for approx 2 weeks or till the sugar will melt and the syrup become thick.
- Serving Suggestions-taste great with paratha,rice and khichdi .
1-I have used small Indian yellow lemons.
2-If you add sugar in the beginning then lemon peels will take longer time to soften .
3- You may also add some chopped green chilies to it at step 6.