Stuffed green chilies -Green chilies stuffed with a tangy Indian spice mixture and stir fried-an instant chili pickle
Green chilis are used to make different variety of pickles and stir fries ,there are numurous version of making this, depend upon individual and regional taste ,I love making different types of chil pickle .
To make this stuffed green chili pickle I have used dry spices in which the flavour of fennel seeds are prominant ,the spices are mixed with little oil and then stuffed in chilies ,then the chilies are tempered and stir fried.
My favourite are-Green chil pickle with lemon and ginger. ,Maharastrian chili pickle.I also tried a –Bharli Mircha– chili fry stuffed with aloo bhujiya which is also a hit in my family.
Prep time-15 min
cooking time-8 min
Cuisine -North Indian
- Green chilies/Hari mirch -200 gms *
- Fennel seeds/Saunf,coarsely crushed -2.5 tbsp
- Coriander powder/Dhaniya -3 tbsp
- Mango powder/Amchoor -2 tbsp
- Chili powder/Lal Mirch-1/2 tsp *
- Turmeric powder/Haldi-3/4 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing-1/2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Cooking oil-2.5 tbsp
- Cooking oil-3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds /Rai- 1tsp
- Wash and wipe the chilies and then slit lengthwise.
- Take a bowl and add all the spices and 2.5 tbsp oil and mix well.
- Stuff the mixture in the green chilies and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan and add mustard seeds.
- When seed start crackling add 1/4 tsp turmeric and the stuffed chilies.
- Gently stir and mix the chilies and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook on low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Keep stiring and changing the side of chilies for about 2-3 times.
- When chilies become soft and get some brown spots then remove from the pan.
- Serve with roti,poori or daal-rice combo.
1-These chilies stays fresh for 3-4 days at room temperature and for a fortnight in the refrigerator,so can be used as a pickle or as a travel food.
2- Use small and mild variety of green chilies to make this.Bhavnagri,jalapeno,poblano,Banana peppers etc
3- Addition of chili powder is optional and depends on the variety of green chilies used.
4- You can also add 1.5 tbsp of dry roasted gram flour/Besan in the stuffing.
Priya Suresh says
Mouthwatering hot n fiery stuffed chillies.
wow looks stunning very tempting have to try it at home soon.
srikars kitchen says
Looks great,,, delicious..
Sadaf Afshan says
I love all kinds of pickles but don't have the energy to make them myself at home. Hats off to mums like you who still make everything at home rather than relying on store bought stuff.
Veena Theagarajan says
So tempting.. Never tried dried one.. my mum makes gravy