Turai ki sabzi – Mild Delicious Sponge gourd cooked with simple fresh herb and spices
Turai ki sabzi- Turai/Toori/ Gilki is a very healthy vegetable,it is easy to cook and very easy to digest.It is a summer specialty so is very cooling for the body.
As it is a seasonal vegetable so very easily available and is very reasonably priced.It belong to the gourd family and have a mild sweet taste .
You don’t need much spices to add while cooking turai. I prefer to make it with fresh herbs to get the wonderful mild and sweet taste of turai.
This is the traditional way of making turai ki sabzi in my family,we serve this sabzi with freshly made ghee wali chapati’s and daal-rice combo.For getting the mild and sweet flavour of turai use only ghee in the tempering and use fresh herbs only. Too much spices ruins the mild taste of turai.
You can try these delicious summer vegetable recipes-
- Turai aur Mooli Ki Sabzi
- Lauki Moong Daal Ki Sabzi
- Tinda Tamatar ki sabzi
- Stuffed karela with raw mango
- Parwal Aloo -Bengali style
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Turai ki subzi /Gilki ki subzi
- 750 grams Sponge gourd / Turai /Gilki
- 1 Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1.5 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
Tempering / Tadka
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 6 Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash and peel turai with the help of a potato peeler.
- Slice lengthwise and then make small cubes.
- Heat ghee in the pressure cooker and add cumin seeds.
- When cumin start crackling add asafoetida,green chilies and curry leaves.
- Now add turmeric,chopped turai,tomato,ginger,salt and 2 tbsp of water.
- Pressure cook on medium heat for 3-4 whistles,or cook in a pan till cooked completely.
- Open the cooker and slightly mash the pieces with the laddle.
- Cook on medium heat for 2-4 minutes ( depends on how much gravy you want to have, I want to serve it with roti so make it semi thick )
- Now add lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander and mix.
- Serve hot with a spoon of ghee on top.