Sandwich Dhokla- Savory steamed lentil and rice cake-specialty from the state of Gujarat
Sandwich Dhokla is a specialty of Gujarat but now very popular all over India.There are so many types and versions of making dhoklas,they can be made with gram flour,semolina,mixed grains, lentil and rice and many more combinations.This is a favorite snack of my family so I often make different versions.
today I an sharing sandwich dhokla which is made with rice and urad daal and a thick layer of mint and coriander chutney is applied between the two layers of dhokla. For An Easy version you can use ready dosa batter to make this. Make a tangy spicy chutney for applying between the layers of dhokla.
Do try these Delicious snacks recipes-
- Instant Sooji Dhokla
- Khatta Dhokla
- Khaman Dhokla
- Stuffed Dhokla
- Aloo ki khasta kachori
- Moong Sprout Kachori
- Bengali Style Matar Kachori
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
- 2 cup Rice
- 1 cup Urad daal/White lentil
- 1/4 tsp Citric acid/ Nimbu phool
- 1/4 tsp Soda bi carb
- To Taste Salt
- 1/2 cup Thick Green Chutney
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 3 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds/ Rai
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds/ Til
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 5 Green Chilies slit
- Pinch Asafoetida/ Hing
- Wash and soak rice and urad daal in enough water for 7-8 hours.
- Now drain the water and wash rice and daal in fresh water .
- Grind rice and daal to make a smooth paste like idli batter.
- Add tatri, salt and 2 tsp of oil in it and mix well and let the batter ferment overnight or for 8-9 hours.
- In a bowl take 1/4 tsp of soda/eno,1 tsp oil and 2 tsp water and mix well.Add this mixture in the fermented batter and mix gently.
- Boil some water in a steamer and grease the dhokla plates.When water start boiling pour the batter in 2 greased plates.
- Arrange these plates in the steamer and cover the steamer with a lid.Steam it for 10 minutes on high heat.
- Take out the plates from the steamer and unmould after 2-3 minutes.
- Now apply chutney on one dhokla (on the rough side).
- Place other dhokla over it(keep the rough side over the chutney)Now gently roll it with the rolling pin,so both the layers will stick properly.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add the tempering ingredients.When sesame become golden then remove it from the heat and add 2 tsp of water in it.
- Pour this tempering over the dhokla sandwich.
- Cut dhokla in squares or diamonds pieces.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
Beautiful and delicious dhokla. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Sandhya !
Recipes from pratibha kitchen says
Shruti J says
I was always scared of trying it!!! Now m gonna make it :
wow so nice and very yummy and inviting.
wow .. they look gorgeous and super tempting
Ahhhh so cute lovely decorated who wouldn't be tempted to try
Sagarika's Kitchen says
Wow!!!looks Superb..gr8 idea..:)
Nandita Pai Shirali says
These look so pretty! I love the layer of chutney between the dhoklas.
the sandwich dhoklas look simply awesome!
Love sandwich dhokla, you have presented it so beautifully!!!
Sapana Behl says
Wow very delicious and inviting dhoklas…
Hamaree Rasoi says
Very cute and tempting to look at dhoklas. must have tasted great as well.
Priya Suresh says
Omg, cant take my eyes from that plate, attractive sandwich dhoklas.