Carrot sambharo-A Warm cabbage and carrot salad -specialty from the state of Gujarat
Carrot Sambharo is a stir fry often made with carrot,cabbage, papaya and chilies.Grated or shredded vegetables are tempered in mustard,curry leaves and green chilies and then stir fried or cooked slightly so the vegetables should retain the crunch and crispiness.Then sugar and lemon juice is added to give a sweet and sour taste.
It is often served with Gujarati snacks and farsans as an accompaniment or as a side dish with meal and I used the leftover sambharo to make sandwiches and to stuff in parathas.
I have also posted the delicious cabbage recipes –
- Raw Papaya and pomegranate sambharo,
- Cabbage chana daal
- Bengali cabbage subzi,
- Carrot and cabbage sambharo,
- Cabbage Rice
- Purple cabbage and pea stir fry
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Cabbage and Carrot Sambharo
- 2 cup Carrot / Gajar grated
- 3 cup Cabbage / Patta Gobhi
- 3/4 cup Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch sliced
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2.5 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 2.5 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbso Cooking Oil
- 1.5 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch slit lengthwise
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When seeds starts crackling add asafoetida,curry leaves and green chilies.
- Now add turmeric powder and grated cabbage and saute for few seconds.
- Then add capsicum julienne s, grated carrot, salt and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on medium flame for 2 minutes or till slightly cooked but remain crisp and crunchy.
- Add sugar and lemon juice, mix well and remove from the gas stove.
- Serve hot or at room temperature
This looks so good and simple to try ☺ saving this recipe in my list to try
Anjana, tried this and totally loved it.. check out my post here
Wow. Am gonna try this
Priya Suresh says
Easy,healthy and colourful stir fry.
Krithi Karthi says
Dish It Out – Onions & Chillis
Aaah… A gujju thali is never complete without this sambharo 🙂 I simply love this…
Yummy and healthy
linsy patel says
I have same dish coming up on my blog this month. always in for this dish.