Cabbage and chana daal sabzi- Simple and flavorful Cabbage and lentil stir fry
Cabbage is a very simple vegetable but gives a strong flavor while cooking so not a favorite vegetable to cook. This is very easily available and an inexpensive vegetable .It also have numerous health benefits so widely used all over the world to make stir fries and soups. It can be paired well with potato,peas ,carrot and lentils to make quick stir fries.
It is beneficial to cure stomach Ulcers , for Weight loss, helps in Arthritis, Heart disease, Alzheimers , Depression, boost immune system, Cure constipation as it is a very good source of fiber.
Cabbage and chana daal subzi is a simple and mildly flavored stir fry .It is a popular preparation of South Indian and Konkani cuisine. Ihis cabbage Upkari is a very easy,quick and fuss free recipe.
Prep time-10 min
Cooking time-15 min
- Cabbage / pattagobhi ,chopped- 4.5 cup
- Bengal gram /chana daal -1/4 cup(raw)
- Coconut / taza nariyal,grated – 1/4 cup
- Turmerc / haldi-1/2 tsp
- Chili flakes / lal mirch-1 tsp
- Green coriander / hara dhaniya – 1tbsp
- Sugar / chini- 1/2 tsp
- Water – 3/4cup
- Salt /namak – to taste
- Cooking oil-3 tbsp
- Green chili /hari mirch, chopped – 2
- Cashew nuts/kaju tukda- 1.5 tbsp
- Cumin /jeera – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds /rai – 1tsp
- White lenti /urad daal- 2 tsp
- Curry leaves-8
- Asafoetida /hing- 1/4 tsp
- Wash and soak chana daal in water for 1 hour.
- Take a heavy bottom pan and add oil.
- When oil become warm then add the urad daal,cumin and mustard seeds.
- When start crackling then add cashew,green chilies, asafoetida and curry patta.
- Now add turmeric powder and soaked chana daal and 3/4 cup water.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low heat till all the water evaporated and daal get partially cooked.
- Now add chopped cabbage and salt,mix and cover the pan
- Cook till become soft but remain crunchy.
- Add sugar, chili flakes, coconut, lemon juice and chopped coriander.
- Mix well and serve with chapati,bread or steamed rice and daal combo.
2- leftover can be used to stuff in sandwich or parathas.