Kela Methi Na Bhajiya – Crisp fritters made with ripe banana and fresh fenugreek leaves
Khalwa /banana and methi pakoda is an specialty from the state of Gujarat. It have a unusual combination of sweet banana and bitter methi. A nice recipe to use your leftover or overripe bananas.
When I first heard about this I was very hesitant to taste it but when i taste it i liked the blend of flavors in it. It have a slightly bitter sweet taste from banana and methi .The addition of dried coriander seeds and pepper corns gives a crunch and balance the flavour in kela methi na bhajiya.
The fritters are nice ,fluffy and soft and have a nice golden colour due to addition of bananas.Serve khalwa with mint chutney ,few fried green chilies and a cup of tea !
If you like fried food then do try –
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Khalwa ,Kela Methi Na Bhajiya
- 1.5 Banana Ripe and mashed
- 2 cup Fresh Fenugreek / Hari Methi chopped
- 2.5 tbsp Whole Wheat Flour / Atta
- 1.5 cup Gram flour / Besan
- 1.5 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya crushed
- 1 tsp Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch crushed
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- Pinch of Baking Soda
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- To taste Salt / Namak
- To deep fry Cooking Oil
- Wash fresh fenugreek /methi and discard the hard stems.
- Chop the leaves finely and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl add gram flour,wheat flour and all the spice and mix
- Now add mashed banana, fenugreek leaves ,baking soda and 2 tbsp of hot oil and mix
- Add little water if needed and make a medium soft batter
- Cover the batter and keep aside to rest for about 1-2 hours.
- Heat enough oil in a deep broad pan to deep fry
- When oil become hot then drop small fritters from the batter in the oil
- Dont crowd the pan ,make few only else they will stick together and not puff properly
- When become golden then flip the side and cook on medium heat
- When become golden from both sides then drain on a paper napkin.
- Serve hot .