Baby brinjals stuffed with Indian spices and stir fried- from the state of Uttar Pradesh
During summers we often make stuffed vegetables which easily stays well for 2-3 days ,though we can make many variety of stuffed vegetables but baby brinjals are so popular that we have numerous variation of making them,every region have there own favorite way of making them.
In southern part of India ,tamarind and coconut is used to make bhawa baigan and in Maharashtra and Gujarat they use peanuts,gram flour for stuffing. But in Uttar pradesh we rarely use coconut and tamarind.Though there are few popular variation of making bharwa baigan in Uttar pradesh according to individual taste and choice, but this simple and delicious version of bharwa baigan is the most popular as only dry spices are used to make this so its quick and have a long shelf life so great to make in summers and also a good travel food
I have also posted – Kashmiri khattey baigan , Amritsari masala baigan , Masala Baigan which are equally delicious and tempting.
I have used fresh coriander with the dry spices but you can also use fresh fenugreek leaves/methi instead. It taste great with- Aam ki launji
Bharwa Baigan /Stuffed Brinjals
- 15 Baby Brinjal / Baby Eggplant / Chhote Baingan
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 2 tbsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 3.5 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tbsp Salt / Namak
- 1.5 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf coarse powder
- 5.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- Wash brinjals and wipe them with a cloth.
- If the brinjal stalks are green and fresh then don't remove them but if they are dry or discolored then remove them.
- With a sharp knife make 2 or 4 slits in the brinjals .
- Heat oil in a heavy and broad pan till it come to a smoking point (if you are not using mustard oil then skip this step) then let it cool down a bit.
- Stuffing - In a bowl add mango powder,salt,turmeric, coriander powder, chili powder, crushed fennel and asafoetida.
- Add 2 tbsp warm oil in the spices and mix, now add chopped fresh coriander and mix properly.
- Stuff the brinjals with this prepared stuffing spice mix.
- Add cumin seeds in the oil and when seeds start crackling add pinch of turmeric and 1/4 tsp salt and mix .
- Add the stuffed brinjals in the pan (in which we have heated the mustard oil)
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp of the remaining stuffing masala over the brinjals.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat.
- If you have some left over stuffing mixture then you can stuff it in green chilies or thick potato roundels and cook them with brinjals.
- Gently stir and turn the brinjals 2-3 times and cook till done.
- Serve with roti, poori or daal -rice combo.
- The left over masala can be used to stuff okra,chilies and sliced thick potato slices etc.
- You can substitute fresh coriander with fresh fenugreek leaves/methi,both taste good.
- Traditionally mustard oil is used but you can use any oil which you normally use for your daily cooking.
- It easily stays well for 3 days at room temperature so also good as a travel food.