Knol khol pickle- A crisp and delicious Knol khol / kholrabi pickle- a seasonal winter pickle
knol khol pickle-/ Ganth gobhi/ kholrabi /German turnip is a lesser known vegetable as compared to cabbage,cauliflower and turnip,kale etc .It has a slightly sharp and distinct flavour and can also be eaten raw like turnip. You can make salad ,stir fry and pickle with this vegetable. Knol khol is quite popular in Sri Lanka,Kashmir,Maharashtra,Bengal,Uttar Pradesh,Assam etc.
As pickles have an important place in our meal and I also love making pickles so This year I tried making this Kashmiri special knol khol pickle which was very delicious and I really loved the crisp and crunch taste of knol khol in the pickle as it didn’t turn soft like other pickles.
During Winters we often make stuffed parathas like Aloo Methi Paratha, Mooli Paratha etc . Stuffed parathas are usually served with curd and pickle. During summer we make pickle which last minimum for an year but during winter we make seasonal pickles which are quite easy to make and they go best with these kind of stuffed parathas.
I have posted different types of chutney and pickle recipes in my blog ,some are yearly type which have very long shelf life and some are made with seasonal vegetables like these-
- Fresh turmeric, ginger Chili pickle ,
- Instant Carrot Green Chili Pickle ,
- Gajar Aloo ka Achar ,
- Tindora Kaa Achar
- Punjabi Gobhi Shalgum Gajar ka achar
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
knol khol pickle
- 450 gms Knol khol /Ganth Gobhi 4 medium size
- 4 tbsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 3 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 2 tsp Dried Ginger / Saunth
- Pinch of Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1 Tbsp Salt / Namak
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 3 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 cup Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- Wash and peel the skin of the kohlabi/ ganth gobhi.
- Make small cubes of medium thickness and don't discard the stem and leaves as they can also be added in the pickle,
- Spread the chopped pieces of knolkhol on a muslin cloth in sunlight for 4-5 hours.
- Dry roast the mustard seeds and fennel seeds just for a minute on low flame to remove the moisture.
- Now coarsely crush or pound them along with ajwain.
- Take the knol khol pieces in a bowl and add the roasted spices and all the remaing spices and mix.
- Heat the mustrad oil till the smoking point and then let it come to room temperature.
- Now add the mustard oil in the knol khol pieces and mix it well.
- Wash and wipe the stems and leaves and roughly chop them and add them in the oil.
- Fill it in a glass jar and tie the jar mouth with a cloth and keep in sunlight for about a week.
- Oil level should be on top of the pickle so can add some more oil if needed.
- The pickle is Ready to use after 10 days.
- You can also slightly steam the knolkhol pieces for about 2-3 minutes if you wish.
- you can also add few green chilies in it.