Vangi bhath-Tangy and flavorful rice cooked with sauted brinjals and special spice mix
Vangi bhath is a specialty rice preparation of Karnataka ,Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra.The main ingredient of this brinjal rice is boiled rice, fried brinjals and a very flavorful spice mix vangi bhath powder.
The addition of goda masala in Maharashtrian brinjal bhath makes it different from South Indian style of making Brinjal bhath. Use of fresh spice powder is preferred for a nice aroma and taste but you can also use ready made vangi bhath powder.
Do try these delicious Pulao recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Vangi Bhath, Brinjal Rice
- 1.5 cup Rice
- 10 Baby Brinjals
- 1 tbsp Jaggary/ Gur
- 2 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
- To Taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander/ Dhaniya
Vangi Bhath Masala Powder
- 1.5 tsp Bengal Gram/ Chana Daal
- 1.5 tsp White lentil/ Urad Daal
- 4 Dried whole Red Chili
- 1 tsp Cumin/ Jeera
- 1.5 tbsp Whole coriander seeds
- 10 Pepper corns
- 2 Cloves
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon/ Daalchini
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds/ Mehidana
- 1.5 tbsp Dessicated coconut
- 12 Cashew nuts/ Kaju
- 1 tbsp White lentil/ Urad daal
- 1 tbsp Bengal Gram/ Chana Daal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 12 Curry Leaves
- 4 Dried whole red chilies
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1 tbsp Green Chiles chopped
Vangi Bhath Powder-
- -Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add chana daal and urad daal and saute till they become light pink.
- Now add all the ingredients except coconut and saute till nice and golden.
- Then switch off the flame and add dessicated coconut and mix.Grind to make fine powder when it cool down completely
- Vangi bhath powder is ready now
Vangi Bhath Recipe
- Boil enough water in a pan,add a tsp of salt .
- When water start boiling add soaked rice and cook till done and then strain on a colander to drain all the water.
- Take 3 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottom pan and add the sliced or cubed brinjals.Saute till brinjls are 80% done,remove from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan add 1 tbsp of oil and add the lentils for tempering.
- When lentil become golden add cashew or peanut and saute till become golden.
- Now add green chilies,curry leaves and whole red chilies and saute.
- Now add brinjals,about a cup of water,jaggary,tamarind pulp,salt,turmeric and 3 tbsp of vangi bhath powder and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- When brinjal cooked completely then add cooked rice.Mix well and then add fresh coriander
- Serve hot garnished with fried cashew and few fried brinjal slices.
- Serving suggestions-serve vengi bhath with yogurt and papad