Kala chana Masala Recipe-Black chickpea curry cooked with tomatoes and basic Indian spices- a Punjabi speciality
kala chana masala- Chick peas /chana is a very healthy legume and is loved all over India .White chickpea/kabuli chana and kala chana both are equally delicious and healthy.There are so many methods depends on regional and personal preference but the most popular is the Punjabi chholey .
The black chana can be boiled and served as a a chat or snack item, like this –Kala Chana Chat or a delicious curry can also be made to serve along rice orr chapatis. I have added some chana daal/bengal gram in it to add some gravy and body to the curry but it is optional ,you can also make it withour adding chanan daal. both tatse equally delicious .
I often serve it with jeera rice or plain steamed rice. I have made it semi thick gravy but you can make it thin or dry according to your taste ,iF you want to serve it with rice then make the gravy on thinner side and if you want to serve it with poori or roti then can make it thicker.so you can easily adjust the consistency of this kala chana curry
Kala chana is a very healthy, a very good option for vegetarian as it is rich in protein and so many other nutrients .It is also very rich in dietery fiber and is good for diabetic and for people on diet .Kala chana is slightly heavy to digest so ginger and asafoetida is added in it for easy digestion.
As we love punjabi food so often makes my favourite –Rajma masala, Kadhai Mushroom, the most popular recipe of my Blog -Aloo Gobhi dhaba style , KabulI chana pulao and so many curries and parathas regularly.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayek
Punjabi kala chana Masala Recipe, Kala Chana curry
- 1.25 cup Black Chickpeas / Kala Chana
- 1/3 cup Bengal Gram / Chana Daal
- 4 large Tomatoes / Tamatar 400 gms
- 1 large Potatoes / Aloo boiled(optional)
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/3 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 2 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 1 Black Cardamom / Badi Elaichi
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash and soak black chana and chana daal for about 5-6 hours in enough water.
- Drain the water and rinse the soaked chana with fresh water.
- Take the soaked kala chana andd chana daal in the pressure cooker and add water,salt ,black cardamom and ginger (water should be around 1.5 inch above the chana )
- Now pressure cook for 6-7 whistles on medium heat.(or cook till chana/chickpeas become soft)
- Grind tomatoes and green chilies and make a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds and when they start to crackle add all the remaining tempering ingredients and saute till cumin become golden in colour.
- Now add the tomato puree, turmeric, chili powder, black salt and coriander powder and cook till oil start separating from the sides of the masala.
- Add the cooked chana, garam masala, mango powder,chopped boiled potato pieces in the tomato masala and cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now add fresh coriander and serve hot with rice,pooris or parathas.
Thank you. Helped me a lot.
Tasty, nice and, I trust, authentic Punjabi dish. Thank You. Greetings from Poland EU
Thank You Thomas !
Priyanka Kothari says
Wow……….It,s amazing & very easy to cook. Thanks for the delicious recipe.
Hi..if u don’t mind I wanted to ask u what black base have u used for photography?
Its a plain black chart paper 🙂