Guvar Vadi ki sabzi- A delicious curry made with cluster beans and lentil fritters
Guvar vadi ki sabzi – Guvar/ cluster bean is a summer special vegetable but now available in all seasons. Guvar ki phali is a healthy beans but is slight bitter in taste and takes little extra time to cook as compared to other beans.
It is always advised to boil or blanch guvar phali before cooking to reduce the bitterness. The edges should be trimmed and beans should be de- string before cooking.
Guvar phali is quite heavy to digest so it’s a good idea to add asafoetida, ginger and carom seeds in the curry ,which helps in digestion.
This Guvar vadi ki sabzi is quite a different and delicious combo. This curry is a specialty of Bhatia Cuisine and I learned this from a very good friend of mine. Fresh urad daal pakodis are made and added in the curry which gives a very nice taste and makes it healthier.
The guvar phali’s are chopped into medium size pieces and then boiled with some salt and turmeric. Then it is tempered with spices and water. After boiling the curry for some time then the fried lentil vadas are added in the curry and is simmered till vada become soft.
For sourness you can add lemon juice or tamarind paste in the curry. Usually it is served with roti or daal -rice.
You may also like these recipes-
- Guvar phali Aloo Ki Sabzi
- Arbi Ki Tari wali Sabzi
- Sookhi Urad Daal
- Moong Daal Kachori
- Dahi Aloo Chaat
- Kuttu Aloo ki Pakodi
Guvar Vadi Ki Sabzi
- 425 gm Cluster beans /Guvar phali
- 2 tbsp Gram flour / Besan
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 2 small Tomatoes / Tamatar finely chopped
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/3 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
for making vadi
- 1/3 cup White lentil/urad daal
- 1 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/4 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- Wash and soak urad daal/ white lentil for 3 hours
- De- string the guvar ki phali and chop to make 1 inch long pieces.
- Grind urad daal with green chili and make a medium thick paste. Now add salt and asafoetida and whisk it to make fluffy and light.
- Heat oil in a pan and make small size vada's from the urad daal batter and fry to a nice golden colour. Drain and keep aside.
- In a pressure cook add 3 cups of water, chopped guvar pahali,1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- When the pressure cool down ,open the cooker and drain the boiled guvar on a colander.
- Take 2 tbsp gram flour and mix with 1/2 cup of water and make a smooth, lump free paste
- Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering ingredients , when mustard seeds start to crackle then add the chopped tomatoes and stir for a minutes.
- Now add chili powder, turmeric, dhaniya powder,salt and the gram flour mixture, stir.
- Now add 2 cups of water in the pan and let it come to a rolling boil .
- When water start boiling add the boiled guvar ki phali, ginger and let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the fried vadi's and sugar and cover the pan with a lid and simmer till the vadi's swell up and become soft. You can add some hot water at this step if the curry become dry.
- Now add chopped coriander and lemon juice in the curry and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with roti or with daal -chawal meal.