Kale Chane aur Kaddu ki sabzi- Tangy delicious black chick peas and yellow pumpkin curry
Kale chane aur kaddu ki sabzi is a specialty of Uttar Pradesh. It is a delicious and quite unique combination of chick pea with yellow pumpkin/ bhopla/ kashiphal/ kaddu. This tangy curry is usually served with poori and kachoris but goes very well with paratha and roti.
My Husband is from Kanpur and I learned making this kale chane aur kaddu ki sabzi from my Mother In Law and now making it quite often. Pumpkin is quite a blend vegetable but taste very good if you make it tangy and spicy. In U.P we add raw mango aur mango powder for sourness and add some sugar to balance the taste and make pumpkin slight khaata meetha. Most of our pumpkin recipe have sweet sour taste.
Yellow pumpkin is a very healthy and nutritious vegetable , Very high in minerals, Vitamins A,C and E, Rich in beta carotene, high antioxidant level, rich in Iron and Folate. It is low in calories and is rich in fiber so is ideal for weight loss diet. So its a good idea to include yellow pumpkin in our regular diet.
You may also like these recipes-
- Paneer Bhurji
- Gujarati Vaghareli Khichdi
- Oats Vegetable Chilla
- Sarson Ka Saag
- Makki Aloo Paratha
- Gajar Mooli Ka Achar
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Kale Chane aur Kaddu ki sabzi
- 750 gm Yellow Pumpkin /kaddu/kashiphal
- 3/4 cup Black chick pea/ Kala chana
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak
- 4 tbsp Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam * chopped
- 2.5 tbsp Sugar / Chini
- 1 tbsp Chili flakes /Kuti hui laal mirch
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- Salt / Namak
- 3.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/3 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- Soak kala chana overnight and then wash and pressure cook with a glass of water for 5 whistles on medium heat
- Drain the water and keep aside the boiled chick peas(you can use this water to add in curries , make the chapati dough or add spices and use as a soup)
- Wash and chop the yellow pumpkin,if the pumpkin peel is yellow then do peel the pumpkin abut if the peel is green and fresh then you can also chop it along with the peel.
- Heat oil in a pan and add fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds. when the seed start to crackle then add asafoetida and the dried red chilies.
- Now add turmeric, the chopped pumpkin, green chili and the boiled chana and salt.
- Cover and cook on low heat till the pumpkin is 90% done. keep stirring it in between.
- Now add the chopped ginger and chopped raw mango and mix gently. ( If you don't have fresh raw mango then can use mango powder/amchoor or thick tamarind pulp)
- Cover and cook ill done.
- Add sugar ,chili flakes and coriander powder and mix.cook covered for 2 minutes so sugar melts and get mixed with the sabzi
- Add some chopped fresh coriander and serve hot with poori, kachori, paratha or roti.