Doi Potol/ Dahi Parwal- Pointed Gourd shallow fried and simmered in a tangy yogurt sauce
Doi Potol-Parwal is a very healthy seasonal vegetable mainly available during summer season in north and East India. It is a very healthy vegetable and it is very easy to digest and is light on tummy so always advised to have when ever you have any type of disease or fever. It is laxative and anti pyretic, Helps to treat jaundice,liver problems and Ulcers.
Parwal and tindli both vegetables looks quite similar so many people get confused between the two. But they are different in taste ,texture and look wise. Tindli /kudru have very tender seeds and parwal have bigger and fewer seeds as compered to tindli. While choosing parwal looks for fresh ,firm,small and dark in colour parwals.
Dahi Potol/ Dahi parwal is a popular Bengali Recipe. It is the favorite vegetable of Bangla people. They consume parwal/potol almost on daily basic during the season. Parwal/potol is used in making so many delicious preparations there.So many types of curries,stir fries,sweets,and fritters are made with parwals.
For Making Dhooi potol choose fresh firm parwal of medium size. peel them in alternate strips and make few slits . Now add slat and turmeric on the parwals and keep aside for 15 minute. Then shallow fry in mustard oil till they become light golden in color and get half cooked. Now temper some oil with whole garam masala and add the spices and saute the parwals. Then add beaten yogurt and cook for a minute. After that add water and simmer till parwal become soft and get done.
This Doi parwal is best served with paratha , luchi or with steamed rice.
You can also try these delicious recipes-
- Aloo Potol Dalna
- Parwal Ki Bhujiya
- Instant Ragi Idli
- Easy Pinwheel Samosa
- Palak Makhana Sabzi
- Methi Dana Chutney Launji
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Dahi Potol Recipe/ Dahi Parwal ki sabzi
- 12 Pointed Gourd / Parwal/potol
- 1 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 4 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/3 cup Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- Pinch Garam Masala Powder
- 1/3 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 2 Tejpatta/ Bayleaf
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- 4 Cloves / Lavang
- 4 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- Wash and peel the parwals on alternate stripes
- Then make small slits in the peeled portions.
- Apple 1/4 tsp salt and pinch turmeric on the peeled parwals and keep aside for 15 minutes
- Heat Mustard oil in a pan and add the parwalas and saute till they turn slight golden. Drain and keep aside
- Add turmeric, KashmirI chili powder, coriander powder in 1/3 cup water and mix well.
- In the same pan add the tempering ingredients -bayleaf, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and dried red chili and saute for few seconds.
- Now add green chili and then add the spice mixed with water and saute for a minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and the beaten curd and mix
- Put the pan on the stove and cook for a minute.
- Now add the fried potol and mix with the curd and cook for a minute.
- Add about a cup of water and sugar ,cover the pan with a lid and simmer till the parwals /potol are done
- When the parwals are done ,add 1 tsp ghee and garam masala powder and mix
- Remove from the heat and serve hot.