Amla Rice- A healthy delicious rice and Indian Gooseberry pulao
Amla rice/ Nellikai sadam/ Chitranna-is a popular rice preparation from Southern India . It is delicious and super easy to make. You can also use your leftover boiled rice to make this Amla rice.
Amla is very healthy and we all are aware of its health benefits. It is the best immunity booster ,very rich in C which helps to fight common cold also and a great source of antioxidants and boost immunity.It helps in digestion ,helps to balance the stomach acid, good for brain, heart and lung function. Helps to improve Eyesight and boost metabolism thus burn fat also. It helps to improve hair and skin health.It also have anti inflammatory properties so relieves arthritis and other joint related aches and pains.
Amla can be used fresh, dried , raw or cooked . It is healthy and nutritious in each form.. I make so many recipes with amla when this amazing berry was in season. You can make fresh recipes or make different types of preserve which can easily last for an year.
This Amla pulao / Usirikaya Pulihora recipe is new to me , few weeks ago I saw this in a newspaper and immediately tried with some left over rice and few amla lying in my refrigerator . We all liked this healthy and delicious rice and now will be making it regularly.
You can have this delicious rice for lunch , dinner and is also a good healthy option to pack in lunch boxes. You just need some papad/ potato chips/ aloo curry/ boondi raita / or buttermilk to serve with this delicious rice
How To make Amla Rice
Making amla rice is quite easy ,quick and simple but there are 3 ways in which you can make amla rice depending on your personal favourite way-
- – You can grind amla ,green chili, ginger and fresh coriander into a paste and then fry this paste in the tempering and then add the boiled rice in it and mix well. I like this method to make amla rice.
- Grate the amla and then add the grated amla, chopped green chili and saute with the tempering and then mix with other ingredient
- Finely chop the amla ,add in the tempering and then add green chili ,ginger and cook till amla become soft and then add seasoning and the boiled rice and saute .
You can also try these healthy Amla recipes-
- Amla Mirch ki Sabzi
- Amla pickle
- Amla Launji
- Amla Candy
- Amla in Brine
- Amla Dhaniya Chutney
- Grated Amla Pickle/ Amla Thokku
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates.
- 3 cup Cooked rice
- 8 big Indian Gooseberry /amla
- to taste Salt / Namak
- Pinch of Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- Handful of Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1/2 inch Ginger / Adrak chopped
- Pinch Roasted Fenugreek Powder optional
- 1 tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter optional
- 3 tbsp Peanuts / Moongphali
- 1 tsp Bengal gram /chana daal
- 1 tsp White lentil/urad daal
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Wash amla and chop into small pieces ,discard the seeds.
- Take a mixer jar and add chopped green chilies, ginger, amla and fresh coriander and grind to make a paste. can add 1-2 tsp water if having difficulty in grinding.
- Heat oil in a wide pan and add peanuts and fry for few seconds til it start to crackle.
- Now add urad daal, chana daal and stir for few seconds. then add cumin, mustard seed ,dried red chili, asafoetida and curry leaves and saute.
- When the cumin and the lentils become golden red in colour then add the amla paste in the pan and saute for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add turmeric powder,the cooked rice, salt , roasted fenugreek powder and mix gently..
- Cook till the rice become hot and steaming.at this step you can add 1 tbsp of ghee before switching off the heat.
- Serve amla rice with papad, potato chips, aloo sabzi ,boondi raita or buttermilk.
- Cook the rice till just done , don't make it mushy. spread the rice in a plate so it will cool down completely before making this amla rice.
- I prefer to use leftover rice sitting in the fridge.
- Instead of peanuts you can add cashew nuts.
- can add few drops of lemon juice in the rice.