Rajasthani Lasoda kairi aur Methidana ki sabji- a very delicious tangy sabji of raw mango gum berries and fenugreek seeds
Rajasthani special Lasoda kairi aur Methidana sabji is a summer special sabji, it taste delicious and a very healthy stir fry. It is made with grated raw mango and soaked and boiled fenugreek seeds so taste like a pickle. The shelf life of this sabji is quite long you can carry it for travel as it stays good for 3 days at room temperature and for a week in the refrigerator.
Gunda/ lasoda/Nisoda/Lesua/ labheda is usually available during summer season for a short period . It is grown in abundance in Rajasthan and also available in Uttar Pradesh and in some Northern Regions.
I love to make stir fries and pickles with lasoda. Lasoda pickle is made in two ways either you can make it in oil like mango pickle or soak it in mustard water and make it like fermented kanji, both ways it taste good. I have posted both the pickle recipes on my youtube.
This Gunda sabji is a traditional Rajasthani recipe and mostly served in Rajasthani weddings during summer season. If raw mangoes are not available then you can add mango powder in it. A good quantity of oil is added in the traditional recipe to increase the shelf life but you can adjust the oil as per your preference. I have added ready pickle masala powder but can be skipped if not available , you can also replace it with some mango pickle masala from your pickle jar.
Try to choose big size spot less raw lasoda’s as ripe (whitish coloured) Gunda’s taste sweet and are not good for making sabji. Also be careful while boiling the gunda’s as if you over cook them then they can be mashed while stir frying. The fenugreek seeds should also be washed 2-3 times after soaking and boil only for 2-3 minutes as over cooking can make them burst and then they taste bitter .
You can also check these recipes-
Rajasthani Lasoda Kairi Methidana Sabji
- 350 gm Gunda/ Lasoda / Nisoda
- 1 Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam
- 3 Thick Green Chilies/ Serrano Peppers
- 4 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Ready Pickle masala Powder optional
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp Fennel powder/ Pisi Saunf
- 1/4 cup Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 3/4 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/4 tsp Nigella Seeds / Kalonji
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Soak the fenugreek seeds overnight and next morning drain the water and rinse well 2-3 times .
- Boil enough water in a pan and when it start boiling add the fenugreek seeds and cook for 2 minutes , take care that they will not be over cooked or burst else they may turn bitter.
- Now drain the seeds and wash them again.
- Remove the gunda's from the stem but try to keep the caps intact.
- Wash them well and add in the boiling water and cook for about 2 -3 minutes.(till half done )
- Switch off the heat and wait for a minute and then remove from the water and let them cool down a bit.
- Now remove the seeds from all the lasoda's and keep aside.
- Peel the raw mango and then grate it .
- Wash and chop the green chilies into roundels
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and then add cumin, fennel seeds and kalonji and let them crackle.
- Add asafoetida and turmeric and then add the gunda's in the oil.
- Saute on medium heat for 2 minutes to reduce the stickiness of the gundas.
- Now add the sliced green chilies and stir for a minute.
- Add the soaked methi seeds and saute for a minute.
- Now add the grated raw mango and salt and again stir fry for a minute.
- Now add all the dry spices and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add few tbsps of oil if needed.
- keep stirring in between to it will not stick at the bottom.
- Gunda kairi methidana sabji is ready now.
- Serve with rice, daal chawal, paratha ,poori , can be served as a pickle or sabji.
- Stays well for 3 days at room temperature and for a week in the refrigerator.