Palak Choley – Garbanzo beans cooked in delicious tomato and spinach sauce
Palak Choley- is a healthy delicious curry. Boiled chick peas are cooked in spinach and tomato puree . Only basic spices are added in it to get the mild flavor of spinach and chick peas. Chana is rich in protein and the addition of spinach added on the nutrition as spinach is very high in Iron.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Palak chole sabji , Chana Palak, Hariyala chana
- 2 cup Chick Peas/ Kabuli Chana boiled
- 1/2 kg Spinach leaves/ palak patta
- 1 cup Fresh Fenugreek / Hari Methi optional
- 3 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 1 tsp Chana masala optional
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- Wash and soak the chick peas overnight or minimum 5-6 hours
- Pressure cook soaked chick peas for 5 whistle or till cooked and soft or use readymade cooked canned chick peas.
- Chop tomatoes roughly and grind to make a smooth puree
- Wash and chop fenugreek, spinach, ginger and green chilies and then pressure cook for 1 whistle with little water, when cool down then open and crush into a smooth paste with a hand blender or in the mixer.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, bay leaves and asafoetida then add the tomato puree and all the dry spices ,cover and cook till it become thick and oil start to separate.
- Now add the spinach puree and the boiled chick peas and 1 cup water(or according to the thickness of the gravy you want)
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes .
- Add lemon juice and garam masala and mix, switch off the heat
- Can add some butter or ghee on top before serving.
- Serving suggestions-serve hot with plain rice,poori or bread of your choice .