Palak Khichdi- a very healthy spinach, rice and lentil one pot meal
Palak khichdi is a very healthy and easy to make one pot meal. Its a wholesome delicious meal made with just few ingredients. Its a easy to make porridge , a true comfort food . This khichdi is loaded with spinach so a hearty meal for all ages.
khichdi is a healthy fuss free ,quick one pot meal. There are many versions of making khichdi . You can make khichdi with spinach or any vegetable of your choice or just plain with daal and rice. One can even substitute rice with millets or broken wheat/ daliya to make it more healthier. Short grain rice is best to use for khichdi so avoid using basmati rice for khichdi.
For making khichdi any dal of your choice and availability can be used, most favorites’ ones are yellow moong daal, split green moong daal, pink masoor and tuvar daal but chana dal , urad daal are also used for making khichdi specially during winter season.
I tasted this palak khichdi in a popular restaurant and loved the simple flavors and since then its a regular in my kitchen and every one in my family loves it. The flavors of this khichdi are very plain and rustic. You can serve it with some raita or dahi, salad and papad and your complete meal is ready to enjoy.
you can also check these recipes-
- pressure cooker
- 1 cup Short Grain Rice
- 1/3 cup Yellow Lentil / Moong Daal (dhuli huee)
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- pinch Garam Masala Powder
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 2 big bunch Spinach leaves/ palak patta
- 4 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1.5 inch Ginger / Adrak chopped
- few Fresh Mint Leaves/ Pudina
- 4 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- Mix and wash rice and daal 2-3 times and soak both in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash spinach very well 2-3 times in enough water and then drain.
- Boil water in a big pan and add 1 tsp salt in it, when water start to boil then add the spinach in it , cook for around a minute or tillit start to wilt.
- Take out the spinach and add in the chilled ice water bowl, it helps to retain the green color of the spinach. let it in cold water for 5 minute or till it cool down completely.
- Squeeze out the spinach from the water and add in the mixer jar along with green chilies ,ginger and the mint leaves and make a fine puree. Keep aside.
- Add the soaked rice and daal with asafoetida, salt , a tsp of ghee and add 4 cup of water .
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium heat.
- Open the cooker when it cool down completely.
- Open the cooker and mix with the ladle and now add the spinach puree and salt and mix.
- Adjust the consistency by adding hot boiling water and some salt if needed. The thickness of the khichdi depends of individual preference so add water accordingly.
- Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Tadka- heat ghee in a small pan and add cumin seeds , when it turn golden then add asafoetida, dried red chilies and cloves.
- Pour the tadka over the khichdi and switch off the heat.
- Add lemon juice and garam masala and mix the khichdi.
- Serve hot palak khichdi with dahi, papad and achar.