Bitter gourd cooked and stir fried with Indian spices
But as Me and my family like karela,so I often use it during the season,personally I like bharwa karela the most but often try different versions like sweet and sour karela,or combine it with lentils and make daal karela.
But as bharwa karela takes little extra time to stuff and cook,so sometimes I make this karela kachri subzi which taste almost the same but doesn’t need that much time to cook.I prefer to use bitter gourd with out peeling the skin but you can peel or scrape karela if you wish.
Prep time-10 minutes
cooking time-25 min
- Bitter gourd,sliced-400 gms
- Raw mango,grated-1 *
- Turmeric powder-3/4 tsp
- Whole fennel seeds /Saunf-1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds powder,coarsely ground-1.5 tbsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
- Chili powder- 1 tbsp
- Mango powder- 1/2 tsp
- Sugar-1/2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Mustard oil-4.5 tbsp*
- Wash and slice bitter gourds in medium thick pieces.(roundels or batons)
- Add 2 tsp salt in the slices,mix and keep covered for 1/2 hour.
- Wash them well with water and then squeeze well.
- If the bitter gourds are too bitter then you can boil them for 5 minutes in water with little salt and sugar added.
- Peel and grate raw mango.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan ,then add whole fennel seeds.
- When fennel seeds become golden then add turmeric powder and karela pieces.
- Saute for a minute and then add salt and grated raw mango,mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat till done.
- Keep stirring in between,so it will cook preperly and will not stick and burn at the bottom.
- When done add all the spices and mix well.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil if needed.
- Cook for approx.2 minutes on low heat with out covering the pan,stir 2-3 times in between.
- Serve hot or cold.
Serving suggestions-best served with daal and rice or any Indian bread.
*may substitute mustard oil with any cooking oil of your choice .
*If raw mango is not available then use 2 tsp of dry mango powder.