Moong Daal Pakoda- Crispy fried nuggets made with yellow lentil, fresh fenugreek and potatoes
Moong Daal Pakoda-During winter season we all like to have hot and crispy snacks .This daal ka bhajiya or Vati daal na Bhajiya is a easy and popular snack in North India.These lentil fritters are called as vadas in Southern India and in North India they as popular as bhajiya or pakoras.
To make Moong daal pakoda –
Yellow lentil or moong daal is soaked and ground and then few spices ,fresh chopped fenugreek leaves and potatoes are added in it and then small nuggets are dropped in hot oil and fried to make golden crisp pakodas /vadas .
You can also make these Moong daal bhajiya without fenugreek leaves if not available easily,and can also use chilkewali moong daal(split moong daal with skin) instead of yellow moong daal or use half of each daal.
I have also posted a different version of Moong daal pakoda which is a popular snack /street food of Delhi- Ram ladoo /Pakora chat
you can also check these delicious recipes-
You can subscribe to my youtube Channel- Maayeka for new delicious recipes every week.
Moong Daal Pakora / Bhajiya
- 3/4 cup Yellow Lentil / Moong Daal (dhuli huee)
- 2 small Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 3/4 cup Fresh Fenugreek / Hari Methi chopped-3/4 cup
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch chopped- 2 tsp
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- to fry Cooking oil- to deep fry
- 1.5 tsp Coriander seeds/Dhaniya crushed
- Wash and soak moong daal for about 3 hours.
- Grind daal to make a smooth and thick paste(no need to add extra water)
- Peel and chop boiled potato into small pieces (like we chop to add in poha).
- Wash and finely chop methi leaves and coarsely crush coriander seeds in mortar and pastle.
- Take ground moong daal paste in a bowl and whisk well.
- Now add all the spices and methi leaves and mix well.
- Then add chopped potatoes and mix gently.
- Heat oil in a deep and wide pan to deep fry.
- Drop small portions of lentil mixture in the oil with the help of your fingers or with a small spoon.
- Deep fry on medium heat till golden in colour.
- Drain on a paper napkin when done.
- Serve hot.
- Serving suggestions-serve hot with green chutney,tamarind chutney or ketchup.