Karela Kachri -Bitter gourd cooked and stir fried with Indian spices
Karela kachri -Bitter gourd is among the few vegetables which are very healthy but are disliked by most of the people.It has numerous health benefits,it detoxes the blood,helps in diabetes as it controls the blood sugar level.
But as Me and my family like karela,so I often use it during the season,personally I like stuffed karela the most . But my family don’t like too much spices so I often try different recipes to make with bitter gourd/ karela. You can make stir fry, poori, paratha,fritters and so many things with karela.
But as Bharwa karela takes little extra time to stuff and cook,so sometimes I make this karela kachri sabzi which taste almost the same but doesn’t need that much time to cook.I prefer to use bitter gourd with out peeling the skin but you can peel or scrape karela if you wish.
You can also try these delicious recipes-
You can subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new recipes every week
Check this Karela Kachri Video –
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates .
Karela kachri Subzi / Bitter Gourd Stir Fry
karela kachri-sliced bitter gourd stir fried with Indian spices
Servings: 6 people
- 400 gms Bitter Gourd / Karela
- 1.5 tbsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1.5 tbsp Fennel powder/ Pisi Saunf
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 4.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel *
- Wash , peel and slice bitter gourds in medium thick pieces.(roundels or batons)Add 2 tsp salt in the slices,mix and keep covered for 1/2 hour.Wash them well with water and then squeeze well.(removing the karela skin is optional)
- If the bitter gourds are too bitter then you can boil them for 5 minutes in water with little salt and sugar added.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan ,then add whole fennel seeds.When fennel seeds become golden then add turmeric powder and karela pieces
- Saute for a minute and then add salt and grated raw mango,mix well.Cover and cook on low heat till done.
- Keep stirring in between,so it will cook properly and will not stick and burn at the bottom.When done add all the spices and mix well.
- Cook for approx.2 minutes on low heat with out covering the pan, stir 2-3 times in between.Add 1 tbsp of oil if needed to make the slices crisp.
- Cook for approx.2 minutes on low heat with out covering the pan,stir 2-3 times in between.Serve hot or cold.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Serving suggestions-best served with daal and rice or any Indian bread.
- may substitute mustard oil with any cooking oil of your choice .
- *can use grated raw mango instead of using mango powder.
I always hate bitter gourd because of its taste. Recently I have started cooking and find fun and happiness in every recipe when somebody appreciate that. I hope this recipe will bring happiness to others.
Sanoli Ghosh says
Hi Anjana ji,
I tried out this simple and yummy kerala subzi, and it came out just awesome! Thanks for the recipe. Here is the link:
suhaina aji says
This looks so yumm…first time here in ur blog..i love all ur beautiful recipes..feel i could have all those items right now..
Karela:(( but sure u make very nice look tempting u can use mango & fennel sure give nice taste must try ur way…
Gorgeous clicks.. looks yummy !!
Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj says
Nowadays am getting fan to this stir fry… lovely..
Priya Suresh says
Seriously am a great fan of this bittergourd, beautiful subzi.
Wer SAHM says
so delicious and looks super good attempt with mangoes…..
Veena Theagarajan says
nice and healthy curry
Tamilarasi Sasikumar says
Love karela with sambar rice…looks yum…
Latest post : How to prepare Idli-Dosa
You made me miss Mum again Anjana 🙁
She makes it exactly the same way, just without raw mangoes.. I wonder what difference would that bring … will try it soon, only if stubborn hubby allows .. as you said, not everyone is a fan of Karela 🙂
Sangeetha Nambi says
Love this all time… Addition mango, that's a gud idea…
my family is big fan of karela….and this is the perfect time to try this dish…I am sure they will surely like this
Adding mango in the stir fry is new to me… Thinking of the taste how it would be