Thandai Masala Powder- A very healthy and refreshing powder mix to make Thandai
In India we prefer to make so many healthy and delicious coolers during summer. They are homemade and made with cooling herbs,fruits and vegetable juices . You can consume them when ever you want without worrying about the side effects on your health or the artificial colour and preservatives loaded in it. All the ingredients are healthy, natural and are easily available.
I love to make sharbats and dry powders to make instant drinks like this Mogra phool ka sharbat which I tried last year.This refreshing Watermelon cooler , Taza Gulab ka sharbat, Kokum sharbat, Angoor ka sharbat are regular in my kitchen every summer.
The traditional way of making thandai is to soak the nuts overnight then grind them finely using sil baata/ grindstone and then it is filtered twice through a muslin cloth. I have already posted the recipe of making fresh thandai– kesariya thandai. but it needs some planning and is quite time consuming but taste awesome !!
Now we all look for shortcuts and easy ways to make things .Usually in our family we prefer to make thandai in the traditional way but as it is not possible to make it often so I makes large bottles of this Kesariya thandai concentrate during summer, just mix this thandai syrup in chilled milk and enjoy delicious thandai in a minute.
Some of my readers requested me to post thandai masala powder recipe and as Holi is coming in just few days so posting this quick and easy Thandai masala powder recipe for you all to enjoy chilled refreshing thandai on this festival of colours Holi.
There are two methods of making Thandai powder, one is Instant and the other one takes little time
1- Instant Thandai powder- which I am sharing here today
2 Method is- Soak the almonds and pistachio overnight and then peel the skins and after that sun dry the peeled almond and pistachio till they dry completely and then follow the same process as I am sharing today.
Both Taste awesome so do try this Thandai powder recipe and give me your feedback 🙂
Do try these Recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback!
You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 1 cup Almonds / Badam 150 gms
- 1/2 cup Pistachio / Pista 70 gms
- 1/2 cup Melon Seeds / Magaz / Kharbooje Ke Beej 70 gms
- 4 tbsp Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch 26 gms
- 4 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf 30 gms
- 1/4 cup Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi 10 gms
- 2 tbsp Poppy seeds /khuskhus optional
- 4 tbsp Sugar / Chini
- 1/4 tsp Saffron / Kesar
- 4 Dried Rose flower
- In a blender jar add sugar, cardamom,whole peppercorns and fennel seeds and grind to make a fine powder.
- Sieve it with a fine strainer and keep aside. grind the residue and sieve again and then discard the final residue.
- Now add almonds, pistachio,melon seeds, saffron, dried rose petals and khas khas and grind to make a fine powder,sieve and again grind the residue.
- Now add both the powders in a bowl and mix properly.
- Store the thandai in a airtight glass jar.
- How to make thandai - take a glass of chilled milk and add sugar according to your taste (I use 2 tsp sugar in a glass )and mix well then add 2 tsp of this thandai masala powder ,mix and use it after 30 minutes (you can use it instantly but soaking enhance the taste and become slight thicker)
- Second Method to make thandai masala powder is- Soak the almonds and pistachio overnight and then peel the skins and after that sun dry the peeled almond and pistachio till they dry completely and then follow the same process as I am sharing today.
- Addition of khas khas is optional.
- If you don't have melon seeds then can easily use cashew instead.
- Can use few drops of rose water in the milk if you have not added dried rose petals in the thandai powder
- 30 minutes resting time is optional ,you can drink it instantly OR mix it and keep refrigerated for 2-3 days.