Lauki halwa- Delicious Bottle gourd and milk pudding
lauki halwa is a very popular summer dessert . It is quite simple to make ,grated bottle gourd is simmered in milk and when it become soft then sugar and nuts are added and coked till it thickens and become like a soft lump.
For making lauki halwa try to choose small fresh tender lauki as it won’t have hard seeds. The big ripe mature lauki often have hard seeds and the taste is also not that sweet. If still there are seeds in the bottle gourd then remove them before grating. Try to grate the lauki when you are ready to cook the halwa else the grated lauki will oxidize and become blackish in colour.
Use full fat or double cream milk for making this dessert as it gives a nice texture and taste to the halwa. Addition of nuts is totally optional. You can adjust the quantity of nuts and cardamom powder.
If you want to reduce the cooking time then use half quantity of milk and add some khoya to make it thick and creamy.
you are looking for more Halwa recipes then do check-
- Instant Badam Halwa
- Mango sooji Halwa
- Pineapple Kesari Halwa
- Kada Prashad/ aate ka halwa
- Aloo ka Halwa
- Gajar Ka Halwa
Lauki ka Halwa I Doodhi ka Halwa
- 500 gm Bottle gourd/Lauki /Doodhi approx.3 cup
- 2 cup Whole Milk / Doodh
- 1 cup Khoya/Mawa/solidified milk
- 1 cup Sugar / Chini
- 5 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 15 Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 2 tsp Rose Water / Gulab Jal
- Peel and grate bottle gourd (grate it just before making the halwa, else it will change its color and become slightly black)
- Heat 3 tbls ghee in a pan,fry cashews and keep aside, then add grated lauki and saute on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add hot milk and keep stirring till it reduces and become thick.
- Now add sugar and let it cook ,till it reduces.
- Add khoya ,2 tbls ghee ,cashews and cardamom powder.and keep stirring.
- When become thick ,add rose water.
- Mix and serve – hot or cold.