Papad Methi ki Sabzi- A delicious yogurt based fenugreek seeds and Popadum curry – specialty of Rajasthan
Papad methi ki sabzi is a specialty from the state of Rajasthsan. In Rajasthan they make use of gram flour/besan and papad etc to use in curries .This papad methi dana ki sabzi is very easy and quick recipe and goes well with roti ,paratha and rice.
You can use any papad to make this papad methi dana ki sabzi but urad daal papad’s are the preferred ones as they don’t become soggy and remain fresh and crisp for a longer time.
I have also posted few delicious Rajasthani recipes ,do try these-
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Rajasthani Papad methi ki sabzi
- 6 Urad daal Papad
- 3 tbsp Fenugreek seeds/ Methi Dana
- 1 cup Yogurt/ Dahi
- 1 tsp Gram Flour/ Besan
- 1/4 cup Besan boondi optional
- 1/4 cup Tomato chopped
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 3/4 tsp Cumin/ Jeera
- 5 Spinach leaves/ palak patta
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- To taste Salt
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder/ Dhaniya
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
- Soak fenugreek seeds in a cup of water for 2 hours. then wash with water and cook in microwave for 3 minutes.or pressure cook for 2 whistles to reduce the bitterness of methi seeds.
- Drain the water and keep aside the methi seeds(or can use without boiling if you like the slight bitterness of methi seeds. )
- Deep fry the papads (frying is optional,you can use raw or dry roast them, but I prefer to use fried papad’s) and break into small pieces. You can also use moong daal papads
- Take curd in a bowl and mix in all the spices .
- Heat oil in a pan ,add cumin seeds and asafoetida.when it become golden add gram flour,stir for few seconds
- Add fenugreek seeds ,give it a stir and then add curd mixture stir fry for a minute .
- Add 1.5 glass water and chopped spinach ,when water start boiling add papad pieces,tomato pieces and boondi.
- let it boil for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Add chopped coriander and serve hot
- Serving suggestions-best with roti, thepla and rice
I am Chandrika from Trivandrum.I tried out this recipie of yours and it came out very well…It was very good
Lakshmi @Purevegetarian says
Fantastic and sumptuous.
try using hung curd for the kadi(tie curd in muslin cloth for 6-8 hours so all the sourness of curd drained with the water)and for the papad curry-first make the curry and add papad just before finishing the curry you need not to cook the papads for long.@payal bhartiya
payal bhartiya says
Hi Anjana di,
I want few tips from you.I am in Australia,I buy plain yogurt here,but whenever I prepare kadhi or kadhi subji i becomes sour do you have any tip for this, also I buy lijjat papad and subji of that papad becomes like atta,how can this be avioded if you are roating papad and then preparing subji.
such a wonderful sabzi! i love the idea!
very interesting and yummy subzi…wonderful preparation,would love to try it soon!!
Ez Cookbook says
sounds very interesting nlooks yummy too… following u…
unique recipe.Looks good,Bookmarked:)
Very flavorful & delicious,loved the creamy texture!!
Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)
2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom
I often make papad curry but your recipe is quite new. love the gravy.
yummy n superb recipe…..
Spice up the Curry says
Thanks for letting me know. @Maayeka
Recipe world says
Wow, nice gravy! Loved the addition of papad..
Join My Event: Love Lock With Juices & Milkshakes
Vimitha Anand says
New curry variety.. Looks inviting
@ spice up the cury-methi seeds are soaked and boiled to get rid of the bitterness..try it,it taste great, not bitter 🙂
very new recipe to me.. when i try this,i will roast the pappad to get rid of oil..thanks for the tips too..
Spice up the Curry says
I saw some kind of similar recipe in sanjeev kapoor's cookbook. but I always thought that because of methi it will taste bitter. could you please tell me does it taste bitter or not?
ah thats cool i would keep ur tips handy and try them as u said
it always curdles whenever i add now i didnt know about that
@ Meena I want to share 4 tips regrading your query –
1-when ever you add curd in any gravy mix it very well before adding in the gravy.
2-while adding curd, remove the pan from fire for few seconds.
3-keep stirring the gravy after adding the curd otherwise it may curdle.
4-mixing 1 t.s of flour(maida)in the curd, reduces the chance of curdling.
hope these tips may help you:)
kitchen queen says
very innovative and interesting recipe.
Rinku Naveen says
Wow! that's an interesting curry. Never heard of it before. And healthy too..
this looks delicious anjana. i have never heard of this combo
however i have one query and want to ask everyone.
dahi is used here but whenever i have used dahi like this in other gravy dishes it just sort of breaks up
u know ekdum dana dana type
so can u pls tell me what am i doing wrong so i can rectify it.
Hamaree Rasoi says
Delicious looking rajasthani recipe.
I never knew there was a dish like this! And I would love the taste of methi in it. Great.
Hi Maayeka ,
Papad and subzi looks delicious !!
and very nice colour!!
Keep on Maayeka:)
I made it recently too..but without methi.. It's so tasty and hardly takes time to prepare.
sounds very yummy and interesting recipe..