Karela Kachri -Bitter gourd cooked and stir fried with Indian spices
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Karela kachri Subzi / Bitter Gourd Stir Fry
- 400 gms Bitter Gourd / Karela
- 1.5 tbsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1.5 tbsp Fennel powder/ Pisi Saunf
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 4.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel *
- Wash , peel and slice bitter gourds in medium thick pieces.(roundels or batons)Add 2 tsp salt in the slices,mix and keep covered for 1/2 hour.Wash them well with water and then squeeze well.(removing the karela skin is optional)
- If the bitter gourds are too bitter then you can boil them for 5 minutes in water with little salt and sugar added.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan ,then add whole fennel seeds.When fennel seeds become golden then add turmeric powder and karela pieces
- Saute for a minute and then add salt and grated raw mango,mix well.Cover and cook on low heat till done.
- Keep stirring in between,so it will cook properly and will not stick and burn at the bottom.When done add all the spices and mix well.
- Cook for approx.2 minutes on low heat with out covering the pan, stir 2-3 times in between.Add 1 tbsp of oil if needed to make the slices crisp.
- Cook for approx.2 minutes on low heat with out covering the pan,stir 2-3 times in between.Serve hot or cold.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Serving suggestions-best served with daal and rice or any Indian bread.
- may substitute mustard oil with any cooking oil of your choice .
- *can use grated raw mango instead of using mango powder.