Makai na khatta vada-Fried corn bread -specialty from the state of Gujarat
Makai na khatta vada/Dhebra is an authentic and traditional recipe from Rural Gujarat which I learned from a good friend of mine.Corn meal,crushed corn kernels, some whole corn nib-lets and few spices are added with curd to make a dough.
Then small vada/disc are made by pressing with your palms and then deep fried in hot oil.These Makai na khatta vada/dhebras can be served as a snack along with green chutney and hot tea.Can also be served as a main course dish with spicy aloo curry and fried green chilies.
Do Try These delicious Gujarati Recipes-
- Gujarati Choraphali Snack
- Gujarati special Surati Daal
- Methi Thepla
- Palak Methi Muthiya
- Khaman Dhokla
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Makai Na Khatta Vada
- 1 cup Corn Meal/ Makki ka aata
- 1/2 cup Corn Kernel/ Makki ka dana crushed
- 2 tbsp Whole corn Kernels
- 2 Green Chilies chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger/ Adrak
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- Pinch Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1 cup Yogurt/ dahi
- To taste Salt
- Grind together green chilies,ginger and 1/2 cup fresh corn kernals and make a paste.
- Take corn meal/makki ka atta in a wide bowl and add the ground corn paste in it.
- Now add fresh whole corn kernels,cumin seeds,asafoetida and salt and mix well.
- Add curd and make a medium soft dough.(no need to add water,can use some more curd if needed)
- Take a thick polythene sheet and apply some oil on it. Place a small ball from the dough and press it with your palm or with another piece of polythene to make a round medium thick vada/disc.
- Heat enough oil in a deep pan or kadhai.
- Add the vada in hot oil and deep fry on medium hot oil till crisp and golden in colour.
- You can also half fry the vada first and then refry them when you want to serve.(pic is of half fried vadas,I refried them again)
- Serve hot with potato curry,fried green chilies and coriander chutney.
If you want to avoid deep frying then can also shallow fry it in little oil or make paratha.
Yes .. liked the recipe… going to try
sanjivni yatin says
beautiful..!!!! i love all your recipes…feel like cooking ….oh…eating all of them…i think i will make this in the evening today…..!!
Wow that's a great thing.. Looks yummy
Priya Suresh says
Very crispy vada,quite irresistible and attractive.
Yummy and crispy vadas
hmmm..very interesting didi…a must try
Oh what a wonderful tea time snack!
Ramya Krishnamurthy says