Makai na khatta vada-Fried corn bread -specialty from the state of Gujarat
Makai na khatta vada/Dhebra is an authentic and traditional recipe from Rural Gujarat which I learned from a good friend of mine.Corn meal,crushed corn kernels, some whole corn nib-lets and few spices are added with curd to make a dough.
Then small vada/disc are made by pressing with your palms and then deep fried in hot oil.These Makai na khatta vada/dhebras can be served as a snack along with green chutney and hot tea.Can also be served as a main course dish with spicy aloo curry and fried green chilies.
Do Try These delicious Gujarati Recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Makai Na Khatta Vada
- 1 cup Corn Meal/ Makki ka aata
- 1/2 cup Corn Kernel/ Makki ka dana crushed
- 2 tbsp Whole corn Kernels
- 2 Green Chilies chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger/ Adrak
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- Pinch Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1 cup Yogurt/ dahi
- To taste Salt
- Grind together green chilies,ginger and 1/2 cup fresh corn kernals and make a paste.
- Take corn meal/makki ka atta in a wide bowl and add the ground corn paste in it.
- Now add fresh whole corn kernels,cumin seeds,asafoetida and salt and mix well.
- Add curd and make a medium soft dough.(no need to add water,can use some more curd if needed)
- Take a thick polythene sheet and apply some oil on it. Place a small ball from the dough and press it with your palm or with another piece of polythene to make a round medium thick vada/disc.
- Heat enough oil in a deep pan or kadhai.
- Add the vada in hot oil and deep fry on medium hot oil till crisp and golden in colour.
- You can also half fry the vada first and then refry them when you want to serve.(pic is of half fried vadas,I refried them again)
- Serve hot with potato curry,fried green chilies and coriander chutney.
If you want to avoid deep frying then can also shallow fry it in little oil or make paratha.