Samek Ke Chawal ka uttapam- Sago barnyarn millet and potato pancakes -food for fasting
Sama ke chawal ke uttapam- /samu /varai or Barnyan millet is a seed ,which is very easily available in Indian stores.It is quite small in size and round in shape,almost similar to thick semolina.It is a complex carbs and rich in fibre so can be easily used on daily basis.It absorb a good quantity of water so is quite filling.I often make sama ke chawal for fasting.
In North India it is mainly used during fasting as grains ,lentils and rice are not consumed during fasting,fox tail millet,sago,water chestnut flour are few commonly used seeds or millets which are used during fasting.there are many recipes to make with samu.This sama ke chawal ka uttampam is quite and easy and filling recipe for fasting days.
I have already posted-
Prep time-10 min
Cooking time- 15 min
Spice level- medium
Type-snack,vrat ka khana
- 1 cup -Samu /samak /tandul /varai
- 1/2 cup -Sago pearls /Sabudana
- 1 medium -Potato,boiled
- 1.5 tbsp -Yogurt/dahi
- To taste -Salt/namak
- 3/4 tsp -Pepper powder /kali mirch
- 2 tsp -Green chili,chopped
- 3 tbsp -Fresh coriander,chopped
- 1 tsp -Cumin seeds
- Wash and soak samo and sabudana in enough water in separate container for about 6 hours.
- Grind them into fine paste with little water(don’t add too much water )
- In a bowl add yogurt,salt and the ground paste and make a batter of pouring consistency.
- Add finely grated or mashed boiled potato and mix.
- Grease a non stick griddle and pour a ladle full of batter.
- Spread to make a medium thick pancake.
- Sprinkle pepper powder,cumin seeds,green chilies and fresh coriander.
- Drizzle some ghee or oil on the pancake.
- When get cooked then flip the side and let it cook from other side.
- When become golden then remove from the pan.
- Serve hot with green chutney and aam papad chutney