Roasted Phool Makhana -Crisp and low fat stir fried lotus seed snack
Roasted Phool Makhana- Makhana or phool makhana is a seed from lotus plant so commonly used during fasting days.This is very easily available in all Indian stores and is very light in weight.
It is also good for health as it is light on stomach and have many medicinal properties. It is rich in calcium, it regulates high blood pressure,good for arthritis, detoxify body, cure insomnia and very good to have as a post natal food .
This namkeen makhana is very filling and a low fat snack.Though it is very easy to make but it takes some time to become crisp so you have to roast it on low heat else it will become crisp from outside but the inner portion remain raw and chewy.
There are so many recipes made with phool makhana.it is also used to make curries and the roasted makhana powder is used to thicken curries.I have posted –Makhana ki kheer and makhana paag and both are fasting recipes.
- Sabudana Vada
- Batayacha Kees
- Moongphali aloo ki sabzi
- Rajgiri ki poori aur Jeera aloo
- Vrat ki ras wale aloo ki sabzi
- Phool makhana Kheer
Roasted Phool Makhana Namkeen
- 50 gms Phool Makhana / Lotus Seeds/ fox nut
- 2.5 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Sendha Namak /Rock Salt
- 1/2 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan.Add lotus seeds and roast on low heat and keep stirring
- Roast for about 10-12 minutes till they become crisp.
- Press a roasted seed to check, if it is roasted well then it will break into pieces,and if it still feel soft and chewy then roast for some more times.
- When roasted then add the spices and 1 tsp of ghee and mix well.
- Let it cool down completely. Store in air tight jar.
- Serving suggestions-serve as a snack with tea,coffee or any beverage