Sabut Moong Daal -Healthy, tangy whole green lentils cooked with fresh herbs and yogurt
Sabut Moong daal is a very healthy lentil.Yellow moong daal, chilka wala moong and whole green moong daal are the three different form of this whole lentil.There are so many different ways to make it and the bean sprouts are most popular sprouts made with whole moong –how to make bean sprouts
sabut moong is slightly heavy to digest so I have used methidana ,asafoetida and ginger in it to aid digestion.It need little extra time to cook as compared to yellow moong daal so I prefer to use pressure cooker to cook sabut moong .
I also make a Bhatia special whole Moong daal Recipe – Mag Methi Daal which is also very light and delicious. I have learned this sabut moong or dahi wali moong recipe from my neighbor and now it become a favourite daal of my family,my son loves this daal and when ever he comes home I often make this for him.
In dried spices only turmeric and salt is used rest all are fresh herbs, so it taste delicious and light to digest.I have also posted a sabut moong daal recipe which is my community special – khatti methi moong
You can also try these delicious Moong Recipes-
- Moong Daal Pakoda Kadhi
- Khatti Moong Daal
- Moong daal Paneer Cheela
- Lauki Moong Daal Sabzi
- Suva Moong Daal
Sabut Moong Daal Recipe
- 1 cup Whole Green Lentils / Sabut Moong
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/2 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 5 Kokam
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee *
- 4 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- Wash and soak sabut moong for at least 1 hour (can also use moong sprouts to make this)
- In the pressure cooker add ghee and when it become warm add methi dana and cumin seeds.
- When seeds start to crackle then add chopped green chilies,curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Now add soaked daal and 2 glasses of water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or till cooked well and become soft and mushy.
- Open the cooker and mash the daal with a whisk
- Add whisked yogurt, few curry leaves ,sugar, salt,turmeric, kokum,chopped ginger and the whole red chilies(brake them into small pieces)in the daa
- Add approx 2 -2.5 cups of water to adjust the thickness(or according to the thickness you want to have)
- Mix well and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Now add fresh coriander and lemon juice and remove from the flame.
- Add 1 tsp of ghee in whole moong daal while serving.
1-Can puree it and serve as a lentil soup.
2- Instead of kokum dried or fresh raw mango slices can also be used.