Karela paratha– Paratha stuffed with bitter gourd peel and Indian spices
Karela Paratha -bitter gourd is a summer special vegetable though now all the vegetables are available in all seasons but seasonal vegetable taste best. As the Bitter gourd taste slightly bitter so many people dislike having it but there are so many who loves karela in any form either it is Bharwa karela , karela kachri or Achari karela sabzi .
I am a big fan of karela and loves it in any form ,the peel of karela also have a lot of nutrients so I never throw the karela peel ,either I stuff it in the karela or make karela peel poori ,karela bhajiya .
Few days back I made this delicious –Stuffed tangy karela and the left over karela peel was used to make this stuffed karela partha and every one at home just loved it.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 2.5 cup Whole Wheat Flour / Atta
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1.5 cup karela peel/karela ka chilka
- 2 tbsp Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam grated
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf crushed
- 1.5 tsp Red chili powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya Chopped
- In a bowl add wheat flour,salt and oil and mix it well
- Add water in it and make a soft dough.
- Apply little salt in the karela peel and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Wash the karela peel with enough water and then squeeze the water completely.
- Heat oil in a pan and add fennel seeds and stir.
- Now add the grated raw mango and bitter gourd peel and stir for a minute.
- Add chili powder and coriander powder and mix it well.
- Add chopped coriander and mix and then let it cool down and come to room temperature.
- Make equal size balls from the dough and keep aside.
- Take a dough bowl ,flatten it slightly and stuff with 1.5 tbsp of stuffing.
- Close it again to make a neat ball.
- Dust the stuffed dough ball with some dry flour and then roll to make a medium thick paratha/ disc.
- Put the rolled paratha on a hot griddle and cook from both sides.
- Then apply little oil and then cook till golden spot appear on both the sides.
- Remove from the griddle and serve hot.
geetha ramaiah says
Instead of raw mango ,can we use Amchur?Thanks.
Geetha, yes you can use amchur or thick tamarind paste instead of raw mango
geetha ramaiah says
Thank you.It is a lovely recipe.Going to make it today.:)
Megha Das says
This recipe is actually worth the try and I would love to try this at home. I will choose to make this recipe this Sunday and I am hoping that it would turn out well. I will be using organic bitter gourds since my family only prefers buying organic food items online.
indian veg recipes says
thank you for showcasing the recipe with the clear prepration method