Dosakaya Pappu- Pigeon peas cooked with yellow cucumber-An Andhra speciality
Dosakaya Pappu is a very popular comfort food from the state of Andhra Pradesh. it is a very quick and no fuss recipe with basic ingredients .It goes very well with steamed rice or roti.
Dosakaya is a favourite vegetable in Andhra ,It is used to make daal, chutney and pickles ,It is quite lemony in taste and blends well with the spices added. Dosakaya /yellow cucumber is low in fat, calories and very high water content so help to improve gall bladder and kidney problems.It is a good source of fiber and potassium.
Sometimes the dosakaya turn out to be bitter in taste so before start making the daal you have to check the dosakaya ,so cut a small piece and taste it .if it is bitter then you have to throw the whole dosakaya .If it tastes fine only then you can use it, If the melon seeds are small and tender then you can use them if you wish or just discard them ,it depends on personal preference.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Dosakaya Pappu Recipe
- 1 cup Pigeon Pea / Tuvar / Arhar ki daal
- 2.5 cup Dosakaya chopped
- 1 cup Tomato / Tamatar chopped
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch
- 1 tbsp Tamarind / Imli Pulp
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 3/4 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- pinch of Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 10 Curry Leaves
- Peel dosakaya and scoop out the seeds and chop into small pieces.
- Check a piece of dosakaya if its bitter in taste then discard the whole thing.if it taste fine only then use it to make dosakaya pappu.
- Wash and sook tuvar daal for about 20 minutes
- In a pressure cooker add soaked lentil, chopped dosakaya ,chopped tomato,chopped green chilies ,1 tsp oil, 1.5 cup water and then pressure cook on medium heat for 3-4 whistles.
- When the pressure in the cooker cools down completely then open and mix the daal and add water to adjust the consistency of your choice.
- Add tamarind, turmeric ,red chili powder and salt and then let it cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard, cumin and when the seeds start to crackle then add asafoetida,red chilies and curry leaves.
- Pour the tempering over the boiling daal and simmer for a minute.
- Add fresh coriander and serve hot with steamed rice with a spoon of ghee on top.