A tangy curry made with smoked brinjal,tamarind and Indian spices
Brinjal comes on top among all my favourite vegetables especially the smoked Baigan Bharta which is a regular in my weekly menu. Though good quality bharta waley baigans came mostly in winter season but I make it throughout the year with the best seasonal brinjals available in the market.
Though I am a North Indian and love mostly the cuisine of Uttar Pradesh but I always make regional cuisine regularly.My family loves South Indian food like Mysore rasam , idli , Mysore Bajji , Masala Vada , Milk Halwa- Palkova and the tangy and delicious okra curry- Bendakaya Pulusu is my favourite curry to have with steamed rice.
Last week when I tasted this brinjal ghotsu at my friend’s house I liked it so much.The smoky aroma of brinjal combines very well with tamarind and the lentil tempering.It is quite different then the Baigan Bharta I often makes but the flavours are awesome. It pairs well with rice, roti, idli, dosa or great combo with Ven Pongal. There are few versions of making Gotsu,some make it with steam cooked brinjal ,some prefer to fry it with the tempering but as per my knowledge roasting directly on an open flame is the traditional way of making gotsu ,which imparts a wonderful smoky flavour.But you can make according to your choice.
- 250 gms Brinjals / Baingan
- 1 tbsp Tamarind / Imli Thick
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Sambhar Powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1 pinch Jaggary / Gud optional
Tempering / Tadka
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 3/4 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1/2 tsp Split White Gram / Safed Urad daal
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/3 tsp Bengal gram /chana daal
- 8 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- Grease the brinjal with cooking oil and roast on an open flame till it is charred from all the sided and become soft to touch.
- Peel the skin completly and mash it well.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the urad and chana daal.
- When it start to change the colour then add mustard seeds,curry leaves,green chillies and the red chilis and saute till lentils get a nice golden colour.
- Now add the tamarind paste and 1/3 cup of water and cook till it start boiling.
- Now add all the spices and the mashed brinjal in it
- Simmer it for 3-4 minutes ,adjust the consistency by adding some more water if needed.it should be of medium thick consistency.
- Add chopped fresh coriander and mix.
- Serve hot with ven pongal ,steamed rice ,idli or dosa.