Makki Mooli ka Paratha- Indian flat bread made with maize flour,grated radish and spices
Makki aur Mooli Ka Paratha- Indian flat breads are made mainly with wheat flour and refined flour but now every one is becoming more health conscious and aware of the health benefits of using different types of grains and millet flours in cooking. Winter is the perfect season to use different flours in making roti and parathas .
Radish /mooli is among the few vegetable which many dislikes due to the pungent taste and smell.But I love radish and often makes sabzi and Pickles .I love Mooli ki Bhujiya sabzi , Stuffed Mooli Paratha , Mooli Ka Achar, Kashmiri Muji Chatin and many more radish recipes .
Makki ka atta /maize flour is widely consumed in the state of Punjab and this makki and mooli ka paratha is also a Punjabi specialty. Though Mooli smells and taste pungent but has numerous health benefits.It is a good diuretic, anti bacterial, anti fungal ,is a good remedy for jaundice,piles and constipation, it also regulate blood pressure, anti cancer, a natural diuretic to keep your kidney healthy and clean. So do try to include radish in your diet during the season.
Makki /Maize is a gluten free flour so it takes some practice to roll the makki ki roti but if the flour is fresh and you knead it with Luke warm water then it can be handled and rolled easily. This makki mooli ka paratha is quite easy to make as I have added some wheat flour in it and grated mooli is added in the dough so no fuss of stuffing ,just add every thing in the dough and make healthy,crisp and delicious parathas to enjoy this winter .
They are best served with Amla dhaniya chutney , Aloo tamatar ki sabzi and yogurt .You can also use polythene beg to make the rolling easier or just use your rolling pin and make like you usually do your roti and parathas.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Makki mooli paratha
- 2 cup Radish / Mooli Grated
- 1.5 Cup Maize Flour / Makki Ka Atta
- 1/2 cup Multigrain Flour / Multigrain Atta
- 2 Tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder optional
- To taste Salt / Namak
- To shallow fry Cooking oil or ghee
- 3 tbsp Fresh Fenugreek / Hari Methi chopped
- Take a big bowl and add every thing in it.
- Mix and mash for few seconds.
- You may or may not need water to make the dough (it depends how fresh,juicy and watery your radish is)
- Make a medium soft dough.(no need to rest the dough else the water and radish start releasing water)
- Make equal size balls of the dough.
- Dust the dough ball with dry flour and roll to make a medium thick paratha (if you find it difficult to roll then put the dough ball between two greased plastic sheets and then roll)
- Put it on a medium hot griddle /tawa and cook from both the sides till few golden spots appears on both the sides.
- Now apply oil or ghee and roast from both the sides to make it golden and crisp.
- Remove the hot and crisp paratha from the tawa and apply some butter and serve hot .