Gujarati Chana Methi Keri Pickle/Athanu-This is a very popular pickle from The state of Gujarat.This tangy delicious pickle is made with soaked chickpeas, methi dana and finely chopped raw mangoes.This is quite an easy pickle to make because usually ready made pickle masala is used to make this pickle but in case you don’t have ready pickle mix then add required amount of rai, methi kuria,salt and chili powder and add in the chana,methi mango mix.
This Gujarati style Chana ,Methi Keri pickle is different then the Rajasthani Style Chana Methi Aam ka Achar
You can use either the white kabuli chana or the desi kala chana depending on your choice and availability ,I always use the white kabuli chana to make this chana methi keri pickle. The chana and methi dana both are soaked in salt and turmeric water for approx 2 days . Salt helps to soften the chana and add flavour in it. The soaked chana and methi are dried after soaking to remove the extra moisture else the pickle will get mold after some times. Same ways we have to adds salt and turmeric in raw mangoes after chopping.
You can chop and add salt in the raw mangoes a day before and use the water released by the mangoes to soak the chana and fenugreek seeds, often the water released is not enough to soak the chana and methi dana so dilute it with some plain water and add some salt and turmeric in it.Till then refrigerate the raw mangoes and when the chana and methi are ready after soaking and drying then take out the mango pieces from the refrigerator and dry on a cloth for few hours.
Now take the ready mango pieces, dried soaked chana, soaked methi and the ready pickle spice mix and 1/4 cup oil and mix well . Fill it in a sterilized glass or ceramic jar and next day add the remaining oil. Let it mature for a week and then enjoy your delicious chana methi kairi ka achar with poori,paratha ,khichdi or daal bhatt .
You can also try these delicious pickles-
- Gujarti Pickle spice mix
- Aam Ka Sookha Achar
- Gujarati Mango Pickle
- Aam ka Chunda
- Instant Mango and green chili pickle
- Hing Ka Achar
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Gujarati Chana Methi Keri Ka Achar
- 200 gm Chick Peas *
- 50 gm Fenugreek seeds/Methidana
- 200 GM Raw Mango/ kachchi Kairi
- 1.5 cup Ready Pickle masala
- 1.5 cup Mustard Oil *
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 2 Tsp Salt/ Namak for soaking
- Wash ,wipe and then chop the raw mango into small pieces almost like the size of the chick peas.add 1 tsp salt,1/4 tsp turmeric and mix. Cover the bowl and keep aside for a day.
- Next day collect the water released by the raw mangoes and keep the mango pieces in the refrigerator to use later.
- Wash chick pea and fenugreek seeds with water.Now take a big bowl,add the water released by the raw mangoes and add some more water ,1/2 tsp salt and 1/3 tsp turmeric in it, same way soak methidana/ fenugreek seeds in separate container .
- After 24 hours change the water and again soak in salt turmeric water for 12 hours then drain and wash with clean water and spread on a cloth and dry for 5-6 hours inside the room .
- Now take out the raw mangoes from the refrigerator and spread on a cloth for few hours to remove the extra moisture.Make sure there will be no moisture on the chana ,methidana and the mango pieces.
- Heat oil to a smoking point and then let it come to room temperature.(you can use either mustard oil or peanut oil ,which ever oil you prefer to use in your pickles)
- Take a big bowl and add the dried chick peas,methidana/ fenugreek seeds and the chopped raw mangoes.
- Now add turmeric,the pickle masala and 1/4 cup oil and mix well
- Fill the pickle in a sterilized glass or ceramic jar ,cover the lid and rest for a day.
- Next day add the remaing oil in the jar, make sure there will a layer of oil above the pickle ,add some more oil if needed.
- Let the pickle mature for a week and then start using it.
- Enjoy delicious chana methi pickle with paratha,poori ,khichdi daal-rice or just with anything you love to.