Hing ka achar- An very popular,delicious ,oil free raw mango pickle with a strong taste of asafoetida and red chilies
Hing Ka Achar- Summer season is incomplete with out making few batches of our favourite pickles and preserves.Mango pickle tops the list as it is every ones favourite and easily available and reasonably priced during summer season.There are so many types of mango pickles made with slight difference in each recipes.
If done properly then this aam ka hing ka achar stays easily for minimum a year or till it lasts .You have to take care about choosing good quality of raw mangoes, adding the right amount of salt and adding good quality of strong hing in it and then sun cook it till the extra water content evaporates from it.At the end you have thick gravy left in it not the watery liquid.
As we have not added any oil in this hing ka achar so too much water or less salt can spoil this pickle .But if you want to make it in small quantity then its quite simple -no need to keep it in sun for a week,just marinate the mango pieces in salt and turmeric for a day and then mix asafoetida,chili powder,little oil and jaggary /sugar and enjoy it.
If you want to make khatta metha pickle then add jaggary . If you prefer a sour pickle then skip adding jaggary and just add 1/2 cup of mustard oil.
If you love making pickles then do try these-
- Punjabi mango pickle ,
- Gujarti mango pickle
- kabuli chana and Aam ka achar
- Digestive lemon Pickle
- Stuffed Red Chili Pickle
- Instant Hing Ka Achar
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Aam Ka Hing Ka Achar
- 2 kgs Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam
- 125 gms Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 2 tbp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 3/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 cup Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 250 gms Jaggary / Gud *
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel optional
- wash and wipe mangoes very well.
- Peel raw mangoes and then make slices or cubes as per your choice.
- Take the raw mango pieces in a glass or plastic container and mix with salt ,turmeric and 3 tbsp oil
- Now cover the container with a lid and keep in sunlight for about a week .
- When raw mango pieces become tender and the water syrup becomes quite thick then add asafoetida, 1/2 cup oil,chili powder and jaggary. (If making in small quantity then can skip adding oil )
- Mix it well and keep in sunlight for 2 days and start using after 2-3 days.
- If you don't want to add jaggary in the pickle then add 1/2 cup of mustard oil .
- If making in small quantity then can skip jaggary and oil both.
- Use glass or plastic containers only,don't use metal vessels.
- Use good quality of strong asafoetida,the quantity of asafoetida depends on the quality of hing.
- The size and cut of pieces depends on your choice,you can slice or cube the raw mango.
- It may take about a week to 15 days to completely dry the water and to soften the mango pieces.
- Kashmiri chili powder is added to give a bright red colour to the pickle but you can use only normal red chili powder instead of using both.